Snowflake eel escape artist

amlpanzarella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a snowflake eel. Although my tank does have a lid...it has some areas near the filter in the back that is open and he could potentially escape. Has anyone really had any issues with their eels escaping? Is it really that common for them to escape and how easy is it really for them to manage to escape. Should I be concerned with the few small open areas?

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly its a high enough chance that you should just close it off. Some netting, mesh, egg crate or something like that would be quick and easy

newFishGuy905

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a snowflake eel, he grew really fast (6 months old) and is a pure escape artist (he escaped a few times) , what I found to be successful I have some PVC that I was able to use some aquarium paint (I painted it black) and buried it in the sand so he uses it now to hide. Snowflake eels (at least mine) has an insane sense of smell and vibration he stays hidden until I go get food the moment I walk in the room with some krill or feeders he pops out..

so in short I have a good amount of live rock and pvc caves I do have a lid but sometimes I forget to close it and he doesn't escape anymore.

NaturalGothic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I work at an aquarium shop that specializes in saltwater and being 100% honest, none of our tanks have lids. So long as there’s plenty of pvc pipes and rocks for them, they won’t jump out. I think that only happened once at work. This is my personal experience but it may not be yours.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes , eels are like snakes , if there is an opening they will find it during lights out or when you aren’t home. Not a matter of if but when , I think snowflake eels are especially prone to this due to in the wild they are frequently found in tide pools and are seen moving from one pool to another over rocks on low tide

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it will find any potential spots to go carpet surfing. Luckily they can breathe air as one time it was about 10 feet from the tank, probably outta the water for atleast 4 hours, it was hard, dried out, figured it was dead but when I picked it up it made a slight move so I put it back in the tank and within an hour it had fully recovered.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve rescued mine from the sump return pump section a few times .
the last time he stuck his nose in the return pump .

they grow very fast ,
The more you feed it , the more they will eat .

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 145 61.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 66 27.8%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 83 35.0%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 41 17.3%
  • Other

Votes: 64 27.0%
Back