Snowflake eel has bulge about halfway down body

J-DOGG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone hopefully someone will have some insight.. the last time he ate was wed of last week.. he came out to eat the other night but wouldn't take any food. Today he is out and I noticed his bulging belly.. his last meal was silverfish. Any input is greatly appreciated..

D02CC9A9-2F7E-49D3-B0BC-9C97DCDAC51C.jpeg AE1EF20B-D482-4FD6-94D6-B6712A1C2698.jpeg

OP
OP
J-DOGG

J-DOGG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Na... only tank mates are trigger and a puffer.. and they are fine.

OP
OP
J-DOGG

J-DOGG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No snails or crabs in tank.. single eel... maybe he is constipated ‍♂️

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess this is a new bulge and not just a really well fed eel? Does it act distressed or different in any way? How long have you had it?

Hectorg214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My previous eel had same thing. Died about three days later. Is the eel breathing normally. My lfs couldn't explain what happened and said snowflakes eels are very hardy and prone to alot of diseases.

OP
OP
J-DOGG

J-DOGG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess this is a new bulge and not just a really well fed eel? Does it act distressed or different in any way? How long have you had it?
Had him since october . Yes its a new bulge .. he is moving around the tank.. breathing seems a lil bit labored. But no intrest in food ..

OP
OP
J-DOGG

J-DOGG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had him since october . Yes its a new bulge .. he is moving around the tank.. breathing seems a lil bit labored. But no intrest in food ..
I do have a qt set up.but no seems to be bothering him so I dont want to add any unneeded stress

OP
OP
J-DOGG

J-DOGG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My previous eel had same thing. Died about three days later. Is the eel breathing normally. My lfs couldn't explain what happened and said snowflakes eels are very hardy and prone to alot of diseases.
He seems to have a wierd twitch when he is breathing... my LFS had no input ethier.

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What ended up happening to your eel i have the same issue. Pretty confident he’s bloated

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He could have some sort of blockage, could be from a digestive issue like constipation or he swallowed something like a piece of rock or substrate. Mg is very effective in helping out predatory fish with digestion, 1st thing I would do is raise mg to 1600ppm. If it's a fowlr and you don't maintain mg, it is wise to maintain reef levels of mg and ca, fish do absorb elements from the water column, and this is very important to predatory fish. Diet and frequency of feeding plays the major role in digestion, so what is their diet and how often do you feed?

Don't use the epsom salt remedy, epsom salt contains questionable ingredients, and is also used as a fertilizer, so also expect an algae bloom. The active ingredient in epsom salt is mg, so just dose reef mg. You can test for it and maintain desired levels. I keep my predator tanks at 1400ppm which is slightly higher than recommended reef levels. If there's an issue, dosing up to 1600ppm is completely safe.

Last edited:

Sheehanigans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He could have some sort of blockage, could be from a digestive issue like constipation or he swallowed something like a piece of rock or substrate. Mg is very effective in helping out predatory fish with digestion, 1st thing I would do is raise mg to 1600ppm. If it's a fowlr and you don't maintain mg, it is wise to maintain reef levels of mg and ca, fish do absorb elements from the water column, and this is very important to predatory fish. Diet and frequency of feeding plays the major role in digestion, so what is their diet and how often do you feed?

Don't use the epsom salt remedy, epsom salt contains questionable ingredients, and is also used as a fertilizer, so also expect an algae bloom. The active ingredient in epsom salt is mg, so just dose reef mg. You can test for it and maintain desired levels. I keep my predator tanks at 1400ppm which is slightly higher than recommended reef levels. If there's an issue, dosing up to 1600ppm is completely safe.
hey i know this is from a while ago but i just got a tiger moray eel a few days ago and was healthy and ate krill and scallops. i put him in the DT and was doing great, i just noticed that his stomach seems to be swollen and he only ate a small piece or two of scallop. I did add a few hermit crabs today, the only other tank makes are a white eyed moray eel and a blue line grouper which are still alive. did he possibly eat a hermit? what should i do? thanks for the help!

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey i know this is from a while ago but i just got a tiger moray eel a few days ago and was healthy and ate krill and scallops. i put him in the DT and was doing great, i just noticed that his stomach seems to be swollen and he only ate a small piece or two of scallop. I did add a few hermit crabs today, the only other tank makes are a white eyed moray eel and a blue line grouper which are still alive. did he possibly eat a hermit? what should i do? thanks for the help!

It would the same suggestions I listed above, it's really all you can do. And yes they could have eaten a hermit, so you just want to hope he passes it. The elevated mg may help with digestion and straitening out the gut.

Sheehanigans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would the same suggestions I listed above, it's really all you can do. And yes they could have eaten a hermit, so you just want to hope he passes it. The elevated mg may help with digestion and straitening out the gut.
its a 210g tank, ive never dosed mg or ca before, dose for 1400 ppm mg and what levels for ca?
this is what he looks like, also this is the first im learning about keeping these levels, do you happen to know of an in depth guide/info for FOWLR predator tank to maintain?

Edit: im look ing at some of your threads you made about predators

IMG_4305.PNG.jpeg IMG_4306.PNG.jpeg IMG_4307.PNG.jpeg IMG_4308.PNG.jpeg

Last edited:

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 8 88.9%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

• I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Back