Snowflake eel in a 40 breeder

Reef.Blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys, I was wondering if I could have a snowflake eel in my 40 breeder. I know they are semi aggressive but to what extent. Thanks!

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys, I was wondering if I could have a snowflake eel in my 40 breeder. I know they are semi aggressive but to what extent. Thanks!
It will eat what ever is close to the size of its mouth. So basically everything else that fits in a 40g

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It should be fine. provide good water quality and filtration and a cover on the tank. These are best fed by feeding tongues- Pieces of squid, shrimp, krill, silversides and other soft meaty foods

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eventually in a 40 breeder, you'll want a locking lid or glass lid. A full grown snowflake of 2+ years age can easily push up the corner of any plastic lid on a 40.

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Eventually in a 40 breeder, you'll want a locking lid or glass lid. A full grown snowflake of 2+ years age can easily push up the corner of any plastic lid on a 40.
Yep, it happened to my old housemate. We came back to a dried up, crunchy eel.

SudzFD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t. I once put a small 12” snowflake in my 60 gallon. One day I saw him attack and bite a humu humu trigger that was bigger than the eel. Trigger was fine but demonstrated his aggressiveness.

I kept a white eyed aka gray moray and it was very docile and even had Percula clowns with him. They are small and max out out around 18” but are great eels for a smaller tank.

OP
OP
Reef.Blue

Reef.Blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t. I once put a small 12” snowflake in my 60 gallon. One day I saw him attack and bite a humu humu trigger that was bigger than the eel. Trigger was fine but demonstrated his aggressiveness.

I kept a white eyed aka gray moray and it was very docile and even had Percula clowns with him. They are small and max out out around 18” but are great eels for a smaller tank.
Thank you!

OP
OP
Reef.Blue

Reef.Blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I just picked up one.

Little c big D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's fine IF you end up with one that isn't super aggressive. The majority are pretty peaceful to tank mates. But the evil Rouge ones are out there. I've had a handful over the years that have been fine. But as said... no fish that fit in its mouth.

OP
OP
Reef.Blue

Reef.Blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's fine IF you end up with one that isn't super aggressive. The majority are pretty peaceful to tank mates. But the evil Rouge ones are out there. I've had a handful over the years that have been fine. But as said... no fish that fit in its mouth.
Thank you!

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on snowflake , a young one will have a better chance of being trained. I had a snowflake that wouldn’t touch emerald crabs , shrimp , clowns , dottyback All living in harmony. The trick is to establish a feeding schedule with the eel so it knows when it is time to eat, I had a bamboo skewer and tongs , tapped top of tank with tongs right before feeding eel with silverside using skewer. Every time I tapped the eel would come out and be swimming around ready to eat lol I kept him content and with no reason to go after tank mates

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 57 54.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.6%
Back