SNOWFLAKE EEL IS A BEAST.... NO FISH SAFE

Dreamkiller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey fam... so I've had 2 snowflakes for a while, a 7 inch and a approx. 18-20 inch. I have a 75g fowlr tank that's is pretty well stocked.

Mandarin goby
Diamond watchman goby
Blue spotted puffer
2 pajama cardinals
Huma
Niger
9 chromis
Black ice clown
Tomato clown
Bi color parrot
Bird nose wrasse - male

All was peace full for months. All of a sudden I lost a chromi, a clown and my watchman. No body. No signs. No sickness. All parameters are ideal. I figured my big snowflake ate the chromi and clown, but I never imagined it could eat the watchman who was about 5-6 inches. Any thoughts?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A large watchmam would be right at the theshold for a snowflake to eat, all the others including your mandarin and cardinals could be at risk. 2 eels in that size tank adds to the risk with the level of stocking, Honestly the 2 eels and maybe 3 to 4 medium broad bodied fish. You've got 4 other fish that need larger tanks; the niger, picasso, parrot, and bird wrasse. In a tank that size with 2 eels they just go cruising around in the middle of the night and bump into a fish they can get into their mouth, and it's all over. With the fish you have the only ones I would keep with 2 snowflakes in that size tank are the puffer and the tomato clown

OP
OP
D

Dreamkiller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The BEAST
A large watchmam would be right at the theshold for a snowflake to eat, all the others including your mandarin and cardinals could be at risk. 2 eels in that size tank adds to the risk with the level of stocking, Honestly the 2 eels and maybe 3 to 4 medium broad bodied fish. You've got 4 other fish that need larger tanks; the niger, picasso, parrot, and bird wrasse. In a tank that size with 2 eels they just go cruising around in the middle of the night and bump into a fish they can get into their mouth, and it's all over. With the fish you have the only ones I would keep with 2 snowflakes in that size tank are the puffer and the tomato clown
I'm actually going to upgrade to a 180 in about 6 months. I just hope the snowflake doesn't get any bigger

Attachments

• 20210213_162735.jpg
    20210213_162735.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 118
  • 20210213_162736.jpg
    20210213_162736.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 127

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The BEAST

I'm actually going to upgrade to a 180 in about 6 months. I just hope the snowflake doesn't get any bigger

I hate to break it to you but if care for properly that eel will get well over 2', many retailers list this eel at max size 24" while they actually get to over 3' in the wild. The fact is most don't feed them properly and many won't live more than 2 to 4 years, usually dying from malnutrition or fatty liver due to overfeeding, usually feeding too frequently. If cared for properly this eel can live around 15 years in captivity and I have seen this eel over 30".

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 30 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back