Snowflake Eel tried to “Carpet Surf” - Show me your tight fitting lids!

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acquired a snowflake eel last saturday. I used two cut to size acrylic sheets as tank lids and thought they appeared secure. This AM my new little buddy tried to carpet surf... I believe he managed to wedge his way under the acrylic. Got him back in no worse for wear, but clearly I need a more secure lid. Tank is a marineland 75g

This is my temporary solution:
10F2E8AB-BF65-444A-AFBA-9FA25DDCFCEA.jpeg
7F587B38-D03B-41F5-98DA-4F0CA149737A.jpeg

Anyways, doing the best I can, but would like a more permanent solution. The overflow is a ghost so no way he got through that. The returns are the narrow nozzle loc line and no way he got through those either.

So show me how you all have solved this problem!

Thanks

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what you mean by ghost overflows but I had to cover the top of my overflows with a piece of plastic and a few drops of super glue, although with the lids, it was just a sliver of separation. I did have to use gorilla tape on the back end and a weight in the front with one eel. You could also use clamps, you really have to be creative, acrylic is pretty light for him to push through. Weights or clamps would be the best looking. Attaching something that looks good with some weight to it distributed across the top, or bond pieces of acrylic over the frame and use clamps.

OP
OP
Smarkow

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay yeah I think I’ll use some weights for now. It was pretty nerve wracking getting him back in this AM

Squeaky McMurdo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. But I used a pair of the metal mesh zilla screens and went about it the wrong way. It was hard to open to feed because of the holes I cut in it for my overflow and return lines. And at the time my lights just sat on top so I had to remove everything to work in my tank. I pulled the clips and will be doing hinged acrylic lids when the need arises. The clips themselves are easy to use.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 20 58.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 5.9%
Back