Snowflake Eel with red eyes?

blizzard7378

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, so my snowflake eel has red eyes and is sticking his head up almost like he’s grasping for air? Not sure what I should do I’ve never seen this before. Anybody know what going on and how to fix it?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Can you get a picture of your eel taken under white (not blue) lights? Also, can you measure how many times it is breathing each minute?

Jay

OP
OP
B

blizzard7378

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Can you get a picture of your eel taken under white (not blue) lights? Also, can you measure how many times it is breathing each minute?

Jay
Thanks!
He breathed 47 times in one minute.
Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• 280DD1C3-E389-41EC-A389-23894ACA2CD1.jpeg
    280DD1C3-E389-41EC-A389-23894ACA2CD1.jpeg
    144.2 KB · Views: 76
  • CE29AFC3-B064-48EE-849A-9D810BB08D18.jpeg
    CE29AFC3-B064-48EE-849A-9D810BB08D18.jpeg
    140.1 KB · Views: 75
  • 003B8DD8-8045-4C6C-920B-B3BD464C57A6.jpeg
    003B8DD8-8045-4C6C-920B-B3BD464C57A6.jpeg
    122.7 KB · Views: 94

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry - the focus on those photos makes it difficult to see much. 47 times per minute isn't super-fast for a moray, but I would think it should be more like 30 per minute. The middle photo is troublesome to me as it looks like the eel is Upsidedown - they never really do that when healthy.

Now, it becomes a game of 20 questions! How is your water quality? Are there other fish in the tank? Are they o.k.? How long have you had this eel? Is it still eating?

Jay

OP
OP
B

blizzard7378

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’s the only fish in the tank had him about 5 years now, it’s 90 gallons. I just measured the nitrates and found they were super high so I’m doing a 50 percent water change he stopped eating the last couple weeks too but just started doing this. Could this be the result if high nitrates?

hds4216

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’s the only fish in the tank had him about 5 years now, it’s 90 gallons. I just measured the nitrates and found they were super high so I’m doing a 50 percent water change he stopped eating the last couple weeks too but just started doing this. Could this be the result if high nitrates?
How high is "super high"?

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The red marks could be a sign of ammonia poisoning, which can be lethal if left too long and can also cause long term damage to gills. I would check Ammonia as soon as possiable.
Loss of appetite and labored breathing are also signed is ammonia poisoning.
Good luck. Keep up updated!

OP
OP
B

blizzard7378

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I can’t get a ammonia kit the store just closed but the nitrates are probably 100ppm or more hard to tell on the chart but it was red. I debating if I should just move him to a 10 gallon tank for the night till I can get a kit tmrw. He’s not looking good after the water change.

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may be a good idea just in case. If you have fresh made water, a heater and a sponge filter or something I would. But he’s already stressed, I would try to get temp to match or slow drip acclimation just to reduce stress. If you have some melafix it may give some temporary relief to the ammonia burns if that’s what it is. Also air stone if you dont have sponge should help too. The breathing fast is because gills get burned, so the more oxygen in the water the better in my opinion.

good luck my friend. I hope your able to figure out what’s going on, I know it’s sucks when you know something wrong but dont know what. I’m hoping for the best outcome for you.

Just a note: if it is ammonia- it could cause gill damage that can’t heal and possibly neurological issues according to some research. So the sooner the better. If you have a produce called prime by Seachem (there may be others too) but it can make ammonia bind to something so it’s not poisonous to the fish. That could be another option.

OP
OP
B

blizzard7378

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may be a good idea just in case. If you have fresh made water, a heater and a sponge filter or something I would. But he’s already stressed, I would try to get temp to match or slow drip acclimation just to reduce stress. If you have some melafix it may give some temporary relief to the ammonia burns is that’s what it is. Also air stone if you done have sponge should help too. The breathing fast is because gills get burned, so the more oxygen in the water the better in my opinion.

good luck my friend. I hope your able to figure out what’s going on, I know it’s sucks when you know something wrong but dont know what. I’m hoping for the best outcome for you
Thanks for the help. I hope he pulls through he actually just stopped stretching up so Hopfully he’s improving. I’ll start eating up a new tank for him just in case. Thanks agian

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also- if you do move it- think of it like a severe sun burn. Taking him out of ammonia is like getting out of the sun, but the sun burns are still there. So if it is ammonia or will take time to heal, unless it’s really bad and damage to gills is beyond the healing point then it could not turn out good unfortunately.

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pleasure man. I’m hoping for the best for you. The water change probably helped too. He may be feeling better, that’s a good sign. Good luck brotha

OP
OP
B

blizzard7378

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see what you mean with the burns I’ll make sure to give him time to rest if I do move him. I’m thinking of doing one more water change tonight and seeing how he is tmrw before moving bc its going to be a pain to catch him. Thanks again man.

OP
OP
B

blizzard7378

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update no ammonia in the tank, I tried moving the eel anyway but he went belly up and I quickly put him back no idea what going on I will just keep changing water for now.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%

Back