Snowflake Eel

smlarson72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am just curious for those that have snowflake eels, how often and how much to you feed yours? This is Bob and he acts like he is always hungry. He is being fed krill, as that is his favorite thing to eat.

94E79D35-8CDE-47E9-AA8A-361DF05DD6B1.jpeg

OP
OP
smlarson72

smlarson72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty cool! I know they have to bed well fed, at least once a daily with meaty food. Big chunk or shrimp or squid
When researching, they say to feed every couple of days. My guy wants to eat all the time. Lol. He gets fed at least 3 times a day.

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Obligatory "Not a snowflake but still a moray eel" post.

My greyfaced is about the size as most snowflakes and I feed it to satiation once every other day, and it's fat and healthy.
Chunks of shrimp, krill, scallop, squid. It's good to have a varied diet.

DSC_0208.JPG

OP
OP
smlarson72

smlarson72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Obligatory "Not a snowflake but still a moray eel" post.

My greyfaced is about the size as most snowflakes and I feed it to satiation once every other day, and it's fat and healthy.
Chunks of shrimp, krill, scallop, squid. It's good to have a varied diet.

DSC_0208.JPG
He is cool! I’ve tried to feed other stuff but he literally turns his nose up. Lol.

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is cool! I’ve tried to feed other stuff but he literally turns his nose up. Lol.

Very cool indeed, thank you. Colour was so faded when I got him that I thought it was a golden dwarf at a really good price. Turns out this species grows to 4' long...
They coexist well with other morays, I think in the future I'll be getting a snowflake.

Mine was the same way, refused all but shrimp. What I ended up doing was giving an extra day between feedings and he was hungry enough to take whatever was presented. Once they eat it once, they recognize it as food and will eat it again. It helps that I feed with tongs, and he knows now whatever is in the tongs is edible.

DSC_0361.JPG

OP
OP
smlarson72

smlarson72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool indeed, thank you. Colour was so faded when I got him that I thought it was a golden dwarf at a really good price. Turns out this species grows to 4' long...
They coexist well with other morays, I think in the future I'll be getting a snowflake.

Mine was the same way, refused all but shrimp. What I ended up doing was giving an extra day between feedings and he was hungry enough to take whatever was presented. Once they eat it once, they recognize it as food and will eat it again. It helps that I feed with tongs, and he knows now whatever is in the tongs is edible.

DSC_0361.JPG
I do feed with tongs so he has that down. He also knows that when I take the top off it means food too. He can recognize when I walk by and he will come out and look at me. Lol

OP
OP
smlarson72

smlarson72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My jewled moray also always acts hungry. I feed about once a week. Remember fat eels are not healthy. They are accustomed to infrequent meals. @lion king
I will cut back o
Try shrimp and squid, as they are better for the eel than krill is. Do you feed it till it loses interest, or do you feed in portions?
I feed him until he loses interest. So the amount he eats varies.

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use to feed until stuffed & then wait until I see it again. What I've started doing is feeding less more often. Seems to keep that crazy roaming around stuff to a minimum.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Their natural way to eat in the wild would be gorge then fast. Many have found in captivity it's best to feed them their full, then fast a couple/few days in between. Since they are not in constant motion, their metabolism is different than other fish, and they do not benefit from daily or frequent feedings. Many adopt a couple a times a weeks, while some even once a week. Every other day at most while every third day would be better. He'll settle down after a while and get into the rhythm of your feeding schedule. You want him to start to cruise a bit before you feed him again.

Please start to limit krill in his diet. Krill contains a high amount of thiaminese, which will bind vitamin B1. A vitamin B1 deficiency will prove deadly. Add shrimp, squid, octopus; and yes even silversides, this will not make him want to eat your live swimming fish{much to internet folklore},

RafaelsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Their natural way to eat in the wild would be gorge then fast. Many have found in captivity it's best to feed them their full, then fast a couple/few days in between. Since they are not in constant motion, their metabolism is different than other fish, and they do not benefit from daily or frequent feedings. Many adopt a couple a times a weeks, while some even once a week. Every other day at most while every third day would be better. He'll settle down after a while and get into the rhythm of your feeding schedule. You want him to start to cruise a bit before you feed him again.

Please start to limit krill in his diet. Krill contains a high amount of thiaminese, which will bind vitamin B1. A vitamin B1 deficiency will prove deadly. Add shrimp, squid, octopus; and yes even silversides, this will not make him want to eat your live swimming fish{much to internet folklore},
Just from what I heard, they start eating your corals when they are starving. I’m guessing people feed them Daily to avoid that

OP
OP
smlarson72

smlarson72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you! I will cut down on his feedings and introduce other foods. I definitely don’t want him to eat is tank mates. However, one might find himself on the dinner plate if he doesn’t leave Bob alone! Lol

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put half of raw cocktail shrimp on a veggie clip every three days for my 12” snowflake. In between that, it catches the frozen mysis I feed to the other fish.

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try feeding my snowflake eel the frozen my sis shrimp, Formula 2. On most days he finds that chunk when I feed... sometimes not. He is a horrible hunter lol

when he doesn’t get a hold of a big chunk, I feed him some dehydrated krill. He will usually eat two of them.

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I didn’t realize that about the krill... based on what you wrote, I’ll be cutting back.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 16 11.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 39 28.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 26 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back