Help with my Snowflakes eel not eating.

Buffy porcupine slayer.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About now, 4 weeks ago I rescued a snowfick eel from a local farm supply pet store. They had them for a year in a 5 gallon tank.it's nasty on the bottom we bought him brought him home right now. The worker will just throw krill in the tank. He's gonna little bit bigger tank. But he is not eating from the tongues. What do I need to do I want to put him in my 300 gallon tank with my other snowflake eel but I do not want to until I know he is eating.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Offer him live ghost shrimp and small fiddler crabs. Him being only fed krill for a year and kept in those conditions is a tremendous issue and him recovering will be tough. Offering live food will give him the best chances, once he start eating those, you can start to offer him more nutritious dead foods. It may take a while to get him eating again as a more will cause stress.

OP
OP
Buffy porcupine slayer.

Buffy porcupine slayer.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an other snowflake eel in my 300gal. Will it be ok to put him in my 300gal. I am already planning getting live saltwater ghost shrimp for my puffer.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an other snowflake eel in my 300gal. Will it be ok to put him in my 300gal. I am already planning getting live saltwater ghost shrimp for my puffer.

In that size tank they should be fine. I would keep him in your observation until you have him eating well and taking food in the method you feed. I would feed him mostly live and the first dead food I would offer is salmon, wild skin on if you can. The reason for live food is he is extremely malnourished, a krill only diet can lead to death within several months. You can offer ghost shrimp, it does not have to be saltwater, the ones kept in fresh water at the lfs is likely even the same species, these shrimp are euryhaline. Guppies and/or small mollies would also be good, as whole live fish is a great addition with live gut flora. The salmon and fish will provide the fats that have been missing from his diet. If you can find small live fiddler crabs, you could try and offer those as well. I am very serious that the live food will be vital if you want him to recover. They may not eat until you start offing live food. If you don't feel moved to do this now, there will be a point of no return.

hrdneglcry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might have trouble with two. The tank is huge but I have tried with no success keeping an established Snowflake with another Snowflake. Especially if the larger is the established one. Same with a Chainlink which is a similar species. Maybe you will have better luck. Like previously stated watch them. I'd add to make sure you tighten up the lid and small holes. If one is getting chases they are going to try to escape the tank harder. Also if you make your own food you could add some garlic. Its an appetite stimulant and good for the immune system. Not a lot. Too much will have the opposite effect. Just a little.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.9%
Back