So freakin frustrated....

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new Vertex Somatic 60s sump and skimmer on my 60 cube. It’s been running for about 3 weeks.... maybe more (can’t remember ). I have yet to get the skimmer to run correctly for more than two days. When I adjust the level in the skimmer micro bubbles come shooting out the standpipe. The bubbles are too fine. One tiny adjustment does one or two things. It either fills the tank with bubbles or pushes water out the top of the skimmer. I had it kinda working yesterday but when I came home two hours later, I had water pouring out the top washing skimmate back into the tank. I worked with it all night. Even took the entire thing apart and inspected it. I’m so frustrated. I’ve read and watched videos and the general consensus is it’s a great skimmer that’s easy to run. Please help. I’m so close to running over the thing.... arghhhhh!

OP
OP
BestMomEver

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like put something under the skimmer? Wouldn’t that be the same as lowering the water level in the sump? The skimmer requires 6-9” of water and I’m running it in 7” of water. I could try it... or am I confused?

Selk Oner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do exactly what he says I found taken the top of the skimmer cup and putting it under the skimmer to raise the skimmer up usually helps

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do exactly what he says I found taken the top of the skimmer cup and putting it under the skimmer to raise the skimmer up usually helps

I've never seen that suggestion but is a great one. I ended up making a small stand out of light difuser but this would have been a lot less time consuming.

erky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is the skimmer broken in yet, I find that a super clean skimmer does have a lot of bubble bypass happening, raise it up a bit then let it have at it for a few days before tweaking it.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree... raise it a bit. My Vertex 180i likes a depth of about 6".

Two 6" long pieces of 1" pvc and a 6" square of eggcrate, a couple of zip ties, and you've got a solid shelf for your skimmer. Easy as can be.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is the skimmer broken in yet, I find that a super clean skimmer does have a lot of bubble bypass happening, raise it up a bit then let it have at it for a few days before tweaking it.

Hi Erky! Hope you’re doing well!

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG!!! How do you guys know this stuff? Who would’ve ever thunk it? IT WORKED! Thankyouthankyouthankyou! You saved my skimmer from a certain death! I’m

The most important thing I have learned so far in my 3+ years and 2 tanks is.........

Ask the questions, figure out who the successful ones are, and LISTEN TO THEM!

I owe so much of my successes to many experienced reefers here.

The hard part of listening is that there are usually more than 1 was to do or accomplish something.

That’s when I read more and ask more and then decide which way I think I can do it.

And results aren’t always immediate so you have to stick with it.

Glad you got your skimmer running well!

They can drive you mad sometimes!

OP
OP
BestMomEver

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I certainly agree. We had a 500 gallon reef 10 years ago and through a series of unfortunate events, got out of the hobby. Even then we learned a lot just through trial, error and innovation. Yet, so much has changed. The basic skimmer isn’t basic anymore. LEDs are in and MHs are out. We found that a good refugium and large sump was way more effective than any UV. We unplugged ours after abt four years of use and never saw any difference in what the tank was “doing.” Read, ask, read, ask....

Thanks guys!

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG!!! How do you guys know this stuff? Who would’ve ever thunk it? IT WORKED! Thankyouthankyouthankyou! You saved my skimmer from a certain death! I’m

Bought my first skimmer in about 1984, counter-current design, ran on a wooden airstone. I guess, over a few decades, you tend to pick up a few things ;)

Glad it worked out for you!

Holy_makerel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made my skimmer platform out of a biopure plate. Cut it down to size and glued the leftovers to the bottom so it's raised and not a detritus trap. It was a win/win for me

Selk Oner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’m happy to hear it ......the same thing happens to me when I first started May many many years ago ...... If you have a problem just ask..... remember there’s no stupid questions just stupid people [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

squampton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope it stays running well for you. I had this skimmer but gave up on it, I could not get it to stay consistent for more then a few days and tried every possible water level I could and every suggestion I could find, finally just threw in the towel on it, was too frustrating..lol

Selk Oner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope it stays running well for you. I had this skimmer but gave up on it, I could not get it to stay consistent for more then a few days and tried every possible water level I could and every suggestion I could find, finally just threw in the towel on it, was too frustrating..lol

Questions do you have a auto top off ??

Selk Oner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. I have a line in marker on the sump, a pitcher, and a hydrometer.

That’s one of the main reason that the skimmer will not work all the time the water line has to remain the same if not the skimmer will not work the way it’s supposed to......

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back