So Frustrated-My KHD leaking PH Probe!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

blfuller123

375 Mixed Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am very frustrated with my KH Director. I swapped all of my Apex gear starting back in December, got the new P4 system, the KHD, with all the associated modules float switches etc. At the first part of January I ordered 2 additional 4 head dosing pumps and pre-ordered the Ion Director. I have all of the GHL equipment in a cabinet I built so its all nice and neat. I did not really think about leak detectors inside the cabinet around the KHD or dosing pumps-but was that ever a mistake!!!

I calibrated the KHD PH probe about a week ago and didnt think twice about it (I looked at it when I calibrated it and didnt notice any kind of leak). Today I got a PAB alarm and when I opened up the cabinet door, there was apparently a very slow leak at the KHD PH probe which has trickled down into 2 of the dosing pumps and now they are both shot.

Im guess Im lucky it didnt leak into anything else but moral of the story, you cant have enough leak detectors.

Guess Ill be getting some additional leak detectors when I order replacement dosing pumps.

Side Cabinet.jpg

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to take a wrench to that fitting and really cinch it down. Definitely not a hand tightening situation. Sorry you got hit with that, mine leaked too at the start but it was the bottom unit so no harm done. GHL should be able to repair those for a fraction of the replacement cost, it would just be a PCB swap. I agree they should have some media noting the fitting must be very tight, and mechanical force used if it isn't.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I had the same aversion to using a wrench on it. Don't go all ham out though, just take it slow and get it tight.

And I know, like all of us, but it is in the manual:

Page 30
Instruction Manual KH Director®

EN 2019-03-21
4.12 Mounting the pH-Electrode
After successful calibration, the pH-Electrode can be
installed. To do this loosen the locking nut on the side of
the KH Director and push the electrode into the device or
rather into the measurement cell until it stops. Then turn
the locking nut tight again.
Make sure that the rubber seal is seated correctly and
that the screw connection cannot be loosened, and
ensure that no water can escape.
Tighten the screw connection as tightly as possible to
prevent water from leaking out of the electrode, use an appropriate tool!
FWIW, I skimmed the manual before I started with the KHD and didn't even catch that note. So I guess they do warn about it. A sticker on the port for a first install, or included with the probe would be a good idea too IMO..

Last edited:

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A light coating of Vaseline on the seal should stop the leak. I know it was either in the manual for the KHD or the videos where I saw that.

JustO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man, that’s a painful day! My probe leaked, used plumbers tape and Chanel Locks. Tightened and then went about another quarter turn to get it to stop leaking.

OP
OP
blfuller123

blfuller123

375 Mixed Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the suggestions. I had used Vaseline on the seal but I did not use a tool to tighten the fitting because it did not appear to be leaking after I ran the next test. I will always use a tool to tighten the fitting going forward and anytime I have the probe out I will make it a point to check it again the following day(s).

I am in contact with Vinny and he had me send him photos of inside of the pumps to try and determine what parts will need to be replaced. Im a little skeptical about troubleshooting from photos but I guess I will see what he tells me.

OP
OP
blfuller123

blfuller123

375 Mixed Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally some good news for me. I opened the pump units up today, blew them out with compressed air, took all of the connections loose and cleaned them with contact cleaner and made sure everything was dry after that. Everything is working with the exception of the top LED on one of the pump housings. I re-calibrated all of the pump heads and I am not getting any kind of PAB alarms so I am going to use these as is for the time being.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally some good news for me. I opened the pump units up today, blew them out with compressed air, took all of the connections loose and cleaned them with contact cleaner and made sure everything was dry after that. Everything is working with the exception of the top LED on one of the pump housings. I re-calibrated all of the pump heads and I am not getting any kind of PAB alarms so I am going to use these as is for the time being.
It's easy to dislodge the connector for the top LED lights when opening the covers for the dosers. It's likely just a loose connector.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do know of another person who had the same issue, but worse. KH director leaked, dosers shorted in on position and nuked everything. Like huge grow tanks. Wouldn’t suggest arranging them in that orientation.

OP
OP
blfuller123

blfuller123

375 Mixed Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont care much about the one top LED not working, everything else does.

I may rethink my cabinet. I dont think I can fit the leak detectors in the current configuration and dont want to take the chance that it happens again. Maybe I can get someone to 3d print a small drip pan for each shelf that can drain if it did ever leak again.

OP
OP
blfuller123

blfuller123

375 Mixed Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at space inside the cabinet to add leak detectors and the only place they will fit is behind the KHD and Ion Director. I decided to machine out some drip pans out of acrylic for them to fit in. If they leak for some reason, it will be contained inside the acrylic and trip the leak detector. I made these the same dimension as my shelves.
20200220_152514.jpg

SteveJacobs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at space inside the cabinet to add leak detectors and the only place they will fit is behind the KHD and Ion Director. I decided to machine out some drip pans out of acrylic for them to fit in. If they leak for some reason, it will be contained inside the acrylic and trip the leak detector. I made these the same dimension as my shelves.
20200220_152514.jpg
Wow.
Do... do have an acrylic warehouse and machine to machine acrylic in your garage?

SteveJacobs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont have an acrylic warehouse but I do keep remnants from previous projects and I do have a CNC that I can machine acrylic.
Awesome....would you mind letting me know the model / set up that you use? What are your thoughts on the pre built CNC routers you see on Ebay? This may hijack the thread so perhaps I can start a new one in DIY.

OP
OP
blfuller123

blfuller123

375 Mixed Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome....would you mind letting me know the model / set up that you use? What are your thoughts on the pre built CNC routers you see on Ebay? This may hijack the thread so perhaps I can start a new one in DIY.
PM me if you want.

A few days after I got everything going again, the KHD doser heads started locking up randomly . I dont know if it got water in too or not but I ordered a replacement doser. Im hoping this was a result of water and not a random problem because my KHD and this doser is only about 4 months old.

I just received the new one and Ill get it swapped over. I am going to take the old one apart and see if I can clean it up like I did the others. I will either have a spare doser or spare parts for the other 2 that got wet.

SteveJacobs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PM me if you want.

A few days after I got everything going again, the KHD doser heads started locking up randomly . I dont know if it got water in too or not but I ordered a replacement doser. Im hoping this was a result of water and not a random problem because my KHD and this doser is only about 4 months old.

I just received the new one and Ill get it swapped over. I am going to take the old one apart and see if I can clean it up like I did the others. I will either have a spare doser or spare parts for the other 2 that got wet.
Thanks, I'll PM.
Pics of the inside of them if you can. :D:D:D

lmm1967

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PM me if you want.

What wound up being the issue with the doser head?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back