So Frustrated-My KHD leaking PH Probe!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
blfuller123

blfuller123

375 Mixed Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What wound up being the issue with the doser head?

I bought that replacement pump and swapped it out but I havent done anything with the original pump yet. I suspect the original one probably needs to be thoroughly cleaned out and it would probably be ok, just didnt want to chance one that I had issues with for alk control. Maybe I will take it apart this weekend and get it cleaned up.

I have not had any issues since I replaced this pump, or with the other two dosing pumps that got water in them that I cleaned out.

HuneyBear

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found these trays by accident while cutting through housewares the other week. I believe they are appetizer trays. They are like the perfect size. And deep enough to need something under the feet to clear the lip. Just need to drill out a drain hole and use a small fitting.
CF0FD0BC-6637-4D44-BF21-214D6E97843A.jpeg
947F5E06-0A03-435C-AC4E-17D825E1998C.jpeg
E9D23500-2BEF-40ED-B903-C949D768D733.jpeg

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, the newest pump set I replaced has a squeaking pump head. Any suggestions? Doesnt seem to affect anything but its annoying...
Apply some teflon grease to the roller stems.

Triflow is what I use, but other brands are super lube and finish line.

mwilk19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found these trays by accident while cutting through housewares the other week. I believe they are appetizer trays. They are like the perfect size. And deep enough to need something under the feet to clear the lip. Just need to drill out a drain hole and use a small fitting.
CF0FD0BC-6637-4D44-BF21-214D6E97843A.jpeg
947F5E06-0A03-435C-AC4E-17D825E1998C.jpeg
E9D23500-2BEF-40ED-B903-C949D768D733.jpeg
I'm going to need to find these. My Kh Director leaked and it drained down to my doser which got smoked.

R-balljunkie

View Badges
Reaction score
South Pacific Ocean Longitude: 167.6546 deg. Latit
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me three. Not the best engineering IMO. these enclosures should at least be water rated, less connections in the back. A double seal for the probe would be good too. I purchased a new ph probe because i could not get the new, never used probe to calibrate right.....no rubber gasket included. this is a wear item. baffles me they could not throw in a ten cent part when ordering a new probe. Profilux regrets.....

R-balljunkie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How tight can you crank on the PH probe fitting? My is still leaking with vasoline.... teflon tape?
you need the grommet kit, especially if you ever break the original seal. its not included when you buy a replacement probe. i ordered the replacement grommet, arrived months after i ordered the probe and sold my whole GHL stack. Best thing i ever did was ditch GHL. Good riddance. Antiquated interface, hard to program. Moved to Hydros..does everything i want it to do from a controls standpoint. Also getting an alkatronic when back in stock. total headache, total mistake on my part going with GHL. Pure hype, bad perpetuated design.

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!

Definitely antiquated and harder to program. The app isn't that bad though. I having some issues with not always connecting though, so using the USB connection too. I set up a ticket, hopefully they will set me straight. All of these things have learning curves, i figure.

Mostly chose GHL because my buddy has it and he has had no issues with hardware... He went through three replaced Apex's and wanted some more reliable regardless of the software challenges.

I looked at hydros. And it does look nice. However, i have wifi issues on all devices in my home and they don't have a wired option for power modules. Also, the GHL stuff feels beefy and the hydros stuff felt a little chinese cheap in my hand...

I'll give GHL a good shot. If it does not cut the mustard, i could easily go the Hydros route. Neptune anything, although a previous aqua controller jr owner (and loved it), i can't own. The company is just getting under my skin for lots of reasons.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a worst case scenario and should be used with much, much caution. It is very easy to make a damage to the threads of plastic.

If it leak - I use a tool like this and tight it very, very carefully. Tight - look for leaks - if still - tight a little bit more ( needs very sensitive hands). If you get it tight - order spare parts ASAP and use only your hands on the new parts - if it still leak order spare parts too :D

1630224664833.png

Sincerely Lasse

I also place my KH director lowest in the stack

Last edited:

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Agree on plastic threads . I didn't have to go much past hand tight to get the leak to stop. It was just not seating right. The space i am working in tight. So added to the problem...

Its 2am. Been at it off and on all day. A MESS with dosing tubes right now--but operational!

Clean it up next weekend maybe.

Rolling kalk slurry and all for reef for dosing, on either end of the dosing containers with mag stirrers. KH director solution in the middle compartment.
20210829_014405.jpg
20210829_011413.jpg
20210829_011422.jpg

HuneyBear

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is an o ring that people sometimes manage to push into the khd. Also make sure the plastic, (fingers) I guess you would call them, that are on the threaded probe port aren’t twisted or bent around. I use a small little crescent wrench to tighten mine past finger tight. I push with 2 fingers so as to not over tighten it.

csund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a cord grip. You can buy a whole kit of them on Amazon and have an infinite supply of seals next day.

R-balljunkie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked at hydros. And it does look nice. However, i have wifi issues on all devices in my home and they don't have a wired option for power modules. Also, the GHL stuff feels beefy and the hydros stuff felt a little chinese cheap in my hand...
yeah, thats a drawback for some, not hard wired. After driving it for the last few months, haven't had an issue w/ 12 controlled outlets. Rumors of a hardwire powerbar are in the works. Don't want to be a fanboy, i've used Apex, GHL and now Hydros....as objective as i can be (I work in the controls industry) ..been pretty reliable so far. It helps to have robust routers for your home network. i hav a dual mesh router setup. come hell or high water.....we're going to have the network running in my house. With two teenagers...if the internet blips, it takes all of 1 minute until i get an ear full. Keep in mind, its your internal wifi network, not necessarily access to the internet. Best of luck!! I was tired of playing technician opening up GHL stuff to troubleshoot.

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GHL Director up and running. Its readings mirror the Hanna Checkers for the last couple days, only the Director results are exactly 0.4 DKH lower each time. Seems like pretty solid results so far :)

Mag stirrers kick on nicely for All for Reef and kalk slurry dosing, dosing pumps seem dialed.

Ultimately , it did take a while to setup, but a second time it would be much quicker for sure. The software is older and has some things that are not intuitive. But just follow the instructions on the videos and it totally works. I think that's what is meant by people saying there is "learning curve."

I'll be happy if all i have to do is just to adjust dosing on the apps and calibrate and maintenance every so often... Solid hardware is why i went GHL and hopefully it all passes that test.

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Can the KHD go underneath the doser?

I see everyone has it above, but if it's prone to leaking would it not be better below?

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can the KHD go underneath the doser?

I see everyone has it above, but if it's prone to leaking would it not be better below?
It certainly is not in the manual or video's that way. But it seems physically possible. The lines that connect the director to the doser are stated to be exact lengths matching two different configurations. I am not sure if putting the doser on top impacts results, but it seems physically possible to mount them that way.

You know if it leaks right away during setup if you just look... My issue was i couldn't get the oring to seat. But i finally did and no issues now.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back