So... Have you seen THIS?!? New EcoTech product!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

RandoReefer

RandyBRS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you haven't seen already, check out this unofficial release about a new Vectra L1 return pump that looks to come out soon from EcoTech Marine.

It's very exciting to see what this thing can do, considering EcoTech's track record for quality products!

Keep your eyes peeled for an official product launch. ;)

Article by Jake Adams @ Reef Builders....

http://reefbuilders.com/2015/07/15/vectra-l1-pump-from-ecotech-marine/

Randy
EcoTech Marine Product Test Team

eg8r210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny to see this posted literally on top of the previous post about the exact same link and product.

eg8r210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After seeing the article it looks like EcoTech is trying to "keep up" with competition. I sure HOPE they are trying to "WOW" the competition and consumers. This doesn't appear to be the tech I was hoping for but that was probably too unrealistic anyways. I can still see the controller connecting to EcoSmart Live so I am hoping EcoTech has some great ideas other than just the ability to turn on and off and feed mode. :)

OP
OP
RandoReefer

RandoReefer

RandyBRS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@eg8r210 Yes, I noticed the same after I posted. For some reason my new thread alerts were not working.

I would imagine this would definitely have more bells and whistles than your standard DC return pump. I guess we'll find out soon. [emoji4]

thejuggernaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After seeing the article it looks like EcoTech is trying to "keep up" with competition. I sure HOPE they are trying to "WOW" the competition and consumers. This doesn't appear to be the tech I was hoping for but that was probably too unrealistic anyways. I can still see the controller connecting to EcoSmart Live so I am hoping EcoTech has some great ideas other than just the ability to turn on and off and feed mode. :)

What were you looking for the pump to do? Sine wave tech for silence, compatibility with an apex, or even better, wireless modes between models like the vortech pumps is all I'm looking for.

eg8r210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What were you looking for the pump to do? Sine wave tech for silence, compatibility with an apex, or even better, wireless modes between models like the vortech pumps is all I'm looking for.
I was hoping there was a slim chance that a return pump design could mimic the powerhead design. Based on the pic it looks like everyone else's pump. The QD tech doesn't really matter to me because the other DC pumps on the market are pretty darn silent also. I don't know what wireless modes will really offer my setup any value. To be honest I would be happy if the pump worked without having anything coming out of the tank other than a power plug. I hate all the extra controllers that are needed for every single DC pump in the tank. My vortech's each have a controller, my gyre has a controller, my next skimmer is going to have a controller, and I have a wire mess with all these extra wires. :)

I don't have best creative thought process so I look for EcoTech to tell me what these other benefits might be and how they could be useful for me. :) I connect my current return pump to a DJ power strip so that I can turn it off in a second.

Now that I have had a quick second to think a little more on this, I think what I would like to hear from EcoTech is that this pump is NOT just another Jebao/Waveline chinese knock off and has durable internals and build quality that will mimic the Red Dragon line of pumps more than the chinese pumps.

thejuggernaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was hoping there was a slim chance that a return pump design could mimic the powerhead design. Based on the pic it looks like everyone else's pump. The QD tech doesn't really matter to me because the other DC pumps on the market are pretty darn silent also. I don't know what wireless modes will really offer my setup any value. To be honest I would be happy if the pump worked without having anything coming out of the tank other than a power plug. I hate all the extra controllers that are needed for every single DC pump in the tank. My vortech's each have a controller, my gyre has a controller, my next skimmer is going to have a controller, and I have a wire mess with all these extra wires. :)

I don't have best creative thought process so I look for EcoTech to tell me what these other benefits might be and how they could be useful for me. :) I connect my current return pump to a DJ power strip so that I can turn it off in a second.

Now that I have had a quick second to think a little more on this, I think what I would like to hear from EcoTech is that this pump is NOT just another Jebao/Waveline chinese knock off and has durable internals and build quality that will mimic the Red Dragon line of pumps more than the chinese pumps.

You mean a magnetically coupled pump? Honestly, I don't think the minuscule heat savings would warrant the amount of engineering that would be involved in making that work. To me the DC pumps lend themselves to closed loop systems. So being able to connect them to ramp up and down would be the main reason I would want them. I don't really see the point of using one for a return pump.

eg8r210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mean a magnetically coupled pump? Honestly, I don't think the minuscule heat savings would warrant the amount of engineering that would be involved in making that work...
Probably true but EcoTech has always seemed to me as a "thinking outside the box" type of company to me. I don't see much heat savings for their powerhead either unless you had a 10 gal tank but they figured it out and made a killing selling them. :) To be honest it would probably just be a "cool" factor with no real benefit but what they have leaked more closely resembles copying the competition instead of leading the charge.

thejuggernaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably true but EcoTech has always seemed to me as a "thinking outside the box" type of company to me. I don't see much heat savings for their powerhead either unless you had a 10 gal tank but they figured it out and made a killing selling them. :) To be honest it would probably just be a "cool" factor with no real benefit but what they have leaked more closely resembles copying the competition instead of leading the charge.

I totally agree. I just don't know what much they could do to improve upon the design in a meaningful manner. The Red Dragons are top of the line as far as build quality and efficiency. If they can come to within 95% of that at about $600 for 5000 GPH, I think they will sell allot of closed loop pumps.

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you all say Red Dragon, your referring to the Hagen Laguna Max Flo line of pump's right :D as that's all the RD's are.

Looks like a nice pump to me, I like having many DC return selections.

eg8r210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you all say Red Dragon, your referring to the Hagen Laguna Max Flo line of pump's right :D as that's all the RD's are.

As I understand this is not entirely correct. The motor block is the same but the RD pumps use different impellers, bearings and titanium screws. I believe if you already have a RD pump you can swap these into a MaxFlo with limited modifications.

slicko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this pump runs the same settings/modes as a vortech as in lagoon mode and wave and crest etc this is a game changer for closed loop usage!! Excitement if they do make it work that way!

thejuggernaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just the motor block is the same. Literally every component of the impeller and shaft is custom made. As is the impeller housing and the controller box. They also added a flush line to help the impeller shaft and magnet cool to reduce calcium build up. They used a good block and added a ton of features to make them better than anything else on the market. Just wish I could justify the price of two of them for a closed loop. Hopefully these ecotechs will be a good alternative. Time will tell.

Chris155hp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See photo

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 259

eg8r210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems odd they would release prior to MACNA. Seems MACNA is a great place to make a big splash.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 49 86.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.3%
Back