So... I thought Scolys got along...

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks a lot like the texture on the purple one I have… here’s a different angle, and you can see the texture difference 553C0B95-B23A-4270-AAE3-7FFE10D1968C.jpeg
My bet is that they are different species, and likely croc island.
Good information. Did that green guy survive?

Dsdaley77

*REEF ADDICT*
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any special tips on taking care of scoly’s?
I tend to keep sand swept away from their bases. They most always have a lower or off center side, that said faces towards the flow so that it goes up over it rather than catching the edge of flesh and it pulling it down across its body.
Target feeding is huge! If those tentacles pop out, regardless of time of day homeboys are getting a snack of some decent quality food. MAKE SURE COMPLETELY UNFROZEN. They don’t do so well with super cool/cold foods.
Also remember to keep in mind that just like Zoas, Scoly‘s tend to have that symbiotic algae Zooxanthellae that provides most of their nutrients. In that regards they can be taken care of much like a Zoanthid in that lighting plays a key role. Consistency and attention helps as always and don’t be afraid to try a new spot. Just try and turn the flow down for a little bit so he can settle.

I should probably just stop here so that I don’t end up writing a book.
Actually just started a podcast (I’m brand new, first try so anyone reading that listens, please be kind lol ) “Gettin’ Salty Tank Talk”. The first episode comes out tomorrow at 6am and is about Zoas. I’ll have to make sure I do a deep dive about Scolymia soon.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tend to keep sand swept away from their bases they most always have a lower or off center side, that faces towards the flow so that it up over it rather than catching the edge of flesh and it pulling it down across its body.
Target feeding is huge! If those tentacles pop out, regardless of time of day homeboys are getting a snack of some decent quality food. MAKE SURE COMPLETELY UNFROZEN. They don’t do so well with super cool/cold foods.
Also remember to keep in mind that just like Zoas, Scoly‘s tend to have that symbiotic algae Zooxanthellae that provides most of their nutrients. In that regards they can be taken care of much like a Zoanthid in that lighting plays a key role. Consistency and attention helps as always and don’t be afraid to try a new spot. Just try and turn the flow down for a little bit so he can settle.

I should probably just stop here so that I don’t end up writing a book.
Actually just started a podcast (I’m brand new, first try so anyone reading that listens, please be kind lol ) “Gettin’ Salty Tank Talk”. The first episode comes out tomorrow at 6am and is about Zoas. I’ll have to make sure I do a deep dive about Scolymia soon.
Thank you and good luck with the podcast!

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sucks the pretty one lost. Figures. My candy apple was too close to some bizarro
Cyphastrea that was growing on the glass and it’s crazy how it “pukes” it’s guts and just melts that stuff. It’s efficient as all get out

OP
OP
jassermd

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good information. Did that green guy survive?
The skeleton is picked clean (thanks CUC!) and the tissue looks to be healing. It didn't get the feeders or the mouth, so I think it will survive and regrow. Time will tell...
And yes, it sucks that the pretty one got fried!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back