So let's try some yeast!

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been trying to eliminate a small diatom infestation on my sand bed for the past couple of months to no avail.

It's persistent and will not bend to my will, no matter what I try. Vacuum the bed- nope. Blackout - nada. Increased water changes - not a dent. GFO - laughing at me........etc.

So after extensive reading and pondering I've decided to try yeast.

Yeast? Hey, why not! If it works, great and I can report how it did. If not, well same thing, but with a sad face! Lol

Some time ago a video was posted by Dave at Vivid aquariums explaining how they used yeast to eliminate their diatoms. Here's that video:

Now this topic has since spread all over the internet and has been discussed at length. Some have tried it and it worked, and some have tried it and it didn't work for them.

There isn't any science backing the use of yeast in this application, though yeast has been used in reef tanks before as foods ranging from fry to coral. No adverse effects, when used in moderation that I've found reading.

So, with that said, I'm okay with this experiment and more than willing to share my experiences with dosing yeast with all of you.

As recommend, 1/4 teaspoon per 400 gallons. So I my system, just under 200 gallons, I'm dosing just at 1/8 teaspoon. This is repeated every other day, up to 5-7 days.

Here's the yeast I'm using, as recommend:

IMG_20180326_171800.jpg

I added this directly to the DT, with all pumps running as usual. It's pellet in form and blew all over the tank in the flow. After a few seconds, it started to dissolve and the water became slightly clouded. Fish largely left it alone. All corals looked normal with their polyps extended. After 5 mins, water cleared.

So, first dose in, second dose in two days. We'll see what happens. I'll report any findings here. Wish me luck! Lol

OP
OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I have some exciting news related to diatoms in the effect of yeast on them! I'm at work right now but when I find the time, I will share it with all of you today!

Big news!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RO/DI/Source water. It's getting past the unit into my freshwater storage, then into my freshly made saltwater.

OK. Just saying fixing that might be a better permanent solution. :D

OP
OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK. Just saying fixing that might be a better permanent solution. :D

I whole heartly agree! A lot of construction going on around me! Sure that's the reason for the increase.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back