So lost

Wolters_88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been fighting phosphates for months. Sometimes the Hannah even reads 2.5 which is the max. Everything in the tanks fine. So I don’t know what’s going on. I have been using no3p0x and I built up to the max and dose it daily. I have pho’s guard in. I do weekly 50% water changes. Cleans the sand weekly. This tanks only 6 months old. I don’t know what could be going on. I’m not feeding a ton. Once daily and it’s about the size of my pinky nail. Im wondering if I don’t have some sort of rock that leaches phosphates. Is that a thing?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you use tap water? Was the rock in the tank previously used in another tank? If the dry was was previously used (meaning its dead rock and not just dry rock), all the dead things left on it will rot in the tank if not cured.

Last edited:

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dry rocks that were not properly cured will leech lots of phosphate. I am curing my rocks now but I doubt it will do much but I will lower it before setting up my tank.

I added too much dry rocks a few months back in my current tank and I had been fighting phosphate since last year.

OP
OP
Wolters_88

Wolters_88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you use tap water? Was the rock in the tank previously used in another tank? If the dry was was previously used (meaning its dead rock and not just dry rock), all the dead things left on it will rot in the tank if not cured.
I have a full 5 stage rodi producing 0 TDS. I got the rock from my LFS as live rock and it was in a tank full of other rock.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Try ChemiPure blue which reduces it and keeps it in check. Additionally, you can use Rowaphos in your sump for additional stability

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have been fighting phosphates for months. Sometimes the Hannah even reads 2.5 which is the max. Everything in the tanks fine. So I don’t know what’s going on. I have been using no3p0x and I built up to the max and dose it daily. I have pho’s guard in. I do weekly 50% water changes. Cleans the sand weekly. This tanks only 6 months old. I don’t know what could be going on. I’m not feeding a ton. Once daily and it’s about the size of my pinky nail. Im wondering if I don’t have some sort of rock that leaches phosphates. Is that a thing?
Maybe your doing the Hanna checker wrong or it’s broken?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I would suggest taking a water sample to a trusted LFS and have them test water sample to verify readings and compare with your readings

Hubert J. Farnsworth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'd start with the newly made saltwater, before right before you are putting it into the tank, if you haven't tested that already. it could be a problem with your water storage vessel or even the salt mix you are using, though that shouldn't be a problem.

could certainly be rocks, pretty common problem. i've never used the nopx stuff, doesn't that take a while to have an effect because its biological control method? if so, maybe something in your system isn't working for the bacteria and you may want to try another method.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe your doing the Hanna checker wrong or it’s broken?
I asked him if he used another test kit and got no reply!
I think people assume that Hanna kits are infallible. I have had two that bit the dust, one of them kept on giving a super high Ca reading. I replaced it and tried the same reagents and got a proper reading. Seems like the photo diode got damaged by a drop of water or something.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wolters_88

Wolters_88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I asked him if he used another test kit and got no reply!
I think people assume that Hanna kits are infallible. I have had two that bit the dust, one of them kept on giving a super high Ca reading. I replaced it and tried the same reagents and got a proper reading. Seems like the photo cell got damaged by a drop of water or something.
I ordered another tester but have been waiting on amazon since it’s like a month wait with this crap going on. Supposed to be here Friday.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 151 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.7%

Back