So much to learn!

-Nana-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I'm excited to be here and learn from you all. I'm fairly new to this hobby and didn't know there was so much to learn. It's been pretty overwhelming but I'm starting to get the hang of it.

I've always wanted a saltwater tank but couldn't afford one while raising 5 kids. I've had several freshwater tanks over the years and had a really nice 65 gallon. A friend told me that he knew someone who was selling his 180 gallon saltwater tank really cheap so I talked my husband into buying it for me for Christmas. Since I knew nothing about saltwater tanks, I hired a couple of guys from Whitlyn's Aquatics in Evansville, IN to move it for me. They moved it in freezing cold weather with an inch of snow on the ground. They worked really hard tearing down, moving and setting up the tank in my home. They set it up beautifully and I didn't lose any fish. They are truly amazing!!!

I've had my saltwater tank for a year now and still have a lot of question so I figured this would be a great place to get answers. I've been buying a few corals and trying to figure out placement, water flow and lighting. Last week I put a refugium in my sump and bought a couple of Hydor Koralia wave pumps with a smart wave controller. I'm not sure if the pumps should be placed high, low or middle and what settings. I figure it would depend on my rock formation and corals. I could use a lot of advise in this and other areas of reefing. I am looking forward to hear from you all and learn from your experiences and expertise.

Ocean_Queenie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello & Welcome, happy you’re here~
IMG_8890.jpeg

Kristopher Conlin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!

Unfortunately flow and power head placement is totally different from aquarium to aquarium. Differences in aqauscape and coral type will effect it as well.

I usually put mine as high up as I can just below the point they start sucking in air from surface.

It would be best to have a power head on each side of the aquarium with a randomized flow pattern. You will want to look at your corals to see how they like the flow. They should be getting flow from all sides and not look like the polyps are blowing off the skeleton. If it's lps just gently bobbing around. Sps can take a bit more flow. You could look at videos of different coral types on YouTube for reference.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

JC Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!

Unfortunately flow and power head placement is totally different from aquarium to aquarium. Differences in aqauscape and coral type will effect it as well.

I usually put mine as high up as I can just below the point they start sucking in air from surface.

It would be best to have a power head on each side of the aquarium with a randomized flow pattern. You will want to look at your corals to see how they like the flow. They should be getting flow from all sides and not look like the polyps are blowing off the skeleton. If it's lps just gently bobbing around. Sps can take a bit more flow. You could look at videos of different coral types on YouTube for reference.

I agree with the above comment :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 27 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.8%
Back