So this is what they think us reefers do? Is it accurate?

Do non hobbyists think you're crazy for keeping a reef in your house?

• Yes

Votes: 253 30.7%
  • No

Votes: 312 37.9%
  • Kinda

Votes: 258 31.3%

• Total voters

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a good friend of mine once said prior to the birth of my first child; "I just hope you care as much for your kid as you do for your tank". So far I think so good.

chinw76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YOU MIGHT BE A SALTWATER AQUARIUM HOBBYISTS IF.... you walk to your tank first thing in the morning, or when you get home before saying hi to the wife and kids...
I Look at the tank at 4 am when I wake up before letting the dogs out and making coffee. Then when I get home from work, I go directly to the tank to verify its ok before anything else.

Mickeyt1reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That meme is spot on!
1572028573832.png

Reefium

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a while so today let's make it fun! I created this "meme" many years back and I was wondering if you all thought it was till accurate?

Do non hobbyists think you're crazy for keeping a reef in your house?

Also let's hear from you!

YOU MIGHT BE A SALTWATER AQUARIUM HOBBYISTS IF...................... (fill in the blank)

saltwater-aquarist.jpg
We are a very unique group of people. We have a skill few can harbor.

Teri NewbieReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of my friends think it is neat. My hubby doesn't get it, but will help since my arm has been out of commission for a while. My retired parents think I'm a nutcase... Fresh tank, planted tank, FOWLR, and reef. They can't seem to fathom the $$$ spent on all of it.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think its all about design and size. If the tank is not overbearing it will typically be viewed in a positive manor. If the tank looks like you built the house around it then people typically think your nuts. If your spouse is reasonable then they can be a great guide.
My wife told me straight up what amount of space in the living room would be acceptable and what she thought was excessive. I could do what I wanted but we both have to live in the house, so we compromised from her 50 gal to my 120 gal, so I bought a 90 gal.

Its the center piece of the house now. Friends and relatives come over and steer at it for 15 minutes before sitting down and chatting.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saturday night, we were outside a pizza joint, and I saw a guy with a 32 gallon brute trashcan on a wheel cart. And he was running across the parking lot with it. Of course my first thought wasn't "Employee taking out the trash" it was "Reefer running to do an emergency water change"

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YOU MIGHT BE A SALTWATER AQUARIUM HOBBYISTS IF...you go home every day for lunch and feed the fish before you make yourself food.
Right there with you! walk into the house and down to the basement I go to get food. As their food thaws I make mine lol

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you doing with a brown recluse

I used to catch them in my family's office storage garage (infested) back in Kansas city and give them to Dr. Jamel Sandidge at KU university, next to Vetter, Jamel is one of the most knowledgeable people on the Loxosceles genus.

20190701_005033.jpg 20190701_005010.jpg

aabjones888

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People that come over are always amazed by my aquarium, then they really start looking and see how much stuffs really inside it and it just blows there mind.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 26 16.6%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 65 41.4%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 22 14.0%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 35 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 5.7%
Back