So this is what they think us reefers do? Is it accurate?

Do non hobbyists think you're crazy for keeping a reef in your house?

• Yes

Votes: 253 30.7%
  • No

Votes: 312 37.9%
  • Kinda

Votes: 258 31.3%

• Total voters

Thaxxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is awesome .... laugh out loud funny. BTW, you can add 'what the police think I do' to the third panel.

Most people who see my tank think it's a really cool hobby …. until they see this, then they just think I'm insane ….

IMG_1611.jpg
Non reefers have no idea how beautiful that is. It's art.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to catch them in my family's office storage garage (infested) back in Kansas city and give them to Dr. Jamel Sandidge at KU university, next to Vetter, Jamel is one of the most knowledgeable people on the Loxosceles genus.

20190701_005033.jpg 20190701_005010.jpg
I kill those things. They are truly a misunderstood spider

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most people that see my tank for the first time are mesmerized....especially the kids. Sometimes the parents almost have to drag them away. Cleaning little hand prints off of my glass is my favorite maintenance chore.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
YOU MIGHT BE A SALTWATER AQUARIUM HOBBYISTS if :

When people come to my home and say " This is not a tank, Its a Public aquarium !! "

Rich Klein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only responded "Kinda" because they know that it definitely limits my joy of travel and makes me sorta a home body. Most of my friends really like visiting my tank and seeing what's new. The other day my wife's sister and an old friend came by to visit her and I was delighted that she took them downstairs to see our reef and spent quite a bit of time telling them about it.

Bastray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YOU MIGHT BE A SALTWATER AQUARIUM HOBBYISTS IF.... the entire neighborhood refers to your house as “the blue house that glows on the corner.”

I didn’t even think of this when I picked the spot for the tank but you can literally spot my house 2 blocks away at night.

Braves Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think most people do ,, they just don't say anything ,, its not a hobby that most people are into ,,, but the first time they are actually standing in front of the tank ,, its a whole new ball game ,,, its at least a hour conversation after that explaining how everything works ,, when I see them after that ,, its kinda the first question out of their mouths ,,, how is the tank doing :)

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been having a problem with my white worm culture, it's hatching flies so last week I flooded their container and I was straining it when my neighbor came over. He asked what I was doing and I said "I am washing my worms".

He just shook his head and walked away. :oops:

Bossman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm the kind of person that jumps into any hobby I have a passion for with both feet. I'm coming up on 2 years of reefing and I have 4 tanks in my house (that's enough for now!). It doesn't matter what I'm doing, some will consider it extreme.

I flew radio control planes for over 10 years. I had 12 or more ready to fly in my basement at all times. And I spent too much money on that hobby too. Then there was weight training at the gym. I became a competitive bodybuilder and competed for 10 years. Made it to the national stage before I burned out.

I bet a lot of you here are the same way. Passionate about your interests and very involved. People ask me when they see my tanks if I "read a book" or had someone show me the way (lots of R2R!). It's obvious there's a lot to know after seeing the complexity of the tank and it's inhabitants. But when you love what you're doing, learning is exciting not just essential. I'm still learning.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 38 28.6%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 26 19.5%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 31 23.3%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 36 27.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back