So this is what they think us reefers do? Is it accurate?

Do non hobbyists think you're crazy for keeping a reef in your house?

• Yes

Votes: 253 30.7%
  • No

Votes: 312 37.9%
  • Kinda

Votes: 258 31.3%

• Total voters

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They think it's cool until they ask how much it costs. Then I'm insane.

We are somewhat insane ;) but then again there are numerous other hobbies that are insane!
If we added up all the money we spent on our tanks it would be staggering. I try not to even think about it and my wife only knows about half of it. This hobby is like a drug addiction, some are equipment junkies, some are fish junkies and some are coral junkies. Then you have people who are addicted in all three areas. Our dealers are merciless. they know that we need a new fix and are constantly coming out with new designer fish and corals to keep us spending:)

Heabel7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YOU MIGHT BE A SALTWATER AQUARIUM HOBBYISTS IF.... the entire neighborhood refers to your house as “the blue house that glows on the corner.”

I didn’t even think of this when I picked the spot for the tank but you can literally spot my house 2 blocks away at night.
YOU MIGHT BE A SALTWATER AQUARIUM HOBBYISTS IF ..... you drive around at night looking for a blue glow in the windows to find other reef hobbyist.
:( haven’t seen one yet. Guess it’s an elite hobby :)

Bob Weigant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My blue house is a big hit with kids and parents on Halloween night. If I’m awake it’s usually an unofficial tank tour night with a bag of candy on your way out

Phycodurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YOU MIGHT BE A SALTWATER AQUARIUM HOBBYIST IF...................... you regularly swing by your favorite LFS on yr way home from work just to window-shop or just shoot the breeze with the owners. :p

BigRedReefer MT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might be a saltwater aquarium hobbyist if..........
You wake up, shower, feed the dogs and cats, wake up the wife and kids, make them breakfast and pace back and forth waiting to see the blue glow coming from the downstairs. When you do, you spend fifteen minutes just staring at rock and coral and watching fish swim to make sure nothing happened in the 14 hours the lights were off.
Or,,,When you lay down in bed and watch a Netflix show with the misses and she turns the TV off. You immediately grab your phone and resume the wish list shopping at brs, or a multitude of websites selling livestock

Louie00067

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People who arent in the hobby will be entranced by a Kenya tree or xenia blowing in the current.
But will show zero interest in SPS coral.

When my friends came over they were like " nice sticks" I had to feed the tank and get my bright red serpent star to come out to make them"ooohhh and ahhhhhh" lol
My brother in law once asked " whats real" ?

Louie00067

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We keep ts as well
IMG_20190622_132933359.jpg
IMG_20181002_222922509.jpg
FB_IMG_1544225140880.jpg
people really think we are nuts. With pet t
I had scorpion and an iguana once

Louie00067

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most people that see my tank for the first time are mesmerized....especially the kids. Sometimes the parents almost have to drag them away. Cleaning little hand prints off of my glass is my favorite maintenance chore.
My granddaughter is always crawling to my tank then stands in front of it and stares up at it , shes getting her own tank soon

Louie00067

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YOU MIGHT BE A SALTWATER AQUARIUM HOBBYISTS IF ..... you drive around at night looking for a blue glow in the windows to find other reef hobbyist.
:( haven’t seen one yet. Guess it’s an elite hobb
:( haven’t seen one yet. Guess it’s an elite hobby :)
There are a few around my area , my wife thinks I'm a stalker

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 28 16.8%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 69 41.3%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 24 14.4%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 36 21.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.0%
Back