So Vortex is no more, what DE can I use in its place?

plasticmodeler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I have been using a Vortex Diatomaceous Earth filter D1 filter for decades to secoandary filter my tank and as a power head for vacuuming my tank. I have finally run out of the Vortex branded DE in the 1 pound bag.

Since the company no longer exists, what other types of DE can I use in lieu of the OEM stuff.

Thanks!

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure as it's been a minute since I read up on them, but @Paul B is a longtime user that likely knows. A search suggests that DE for pools is the best option and supports what I recall reading a few years ago.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the Marineland Magnum polishing filter with the micron pleated cartridge is almost as good as DE. I have used the Vortex with DE many years ago and is the best at fine filtering. I just don't want to deal with all that anymore so the Magnum is good enough for me.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Scratch08

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So is the DE in the Magnum really make a noticeable difference? I have the DE just haven't gotten around to using it yet. Not convinced I will notice the difference.
I run the magnum with carbon on a regular basis in my 120…run it with DE after a water change/ deep clean, and it clears the tank up in a couple of hours. The magnum will clear it without the DE pretty well, but seems to be better/quicker with the DE.

Johnnyracer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to the pool supply place and got the smallest bag they had.....40lbs. It will last forever.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So do you put the Diatomaceous Earth inside the Marineland Magnum? I have the Vortex, I gave up using it because it was PITA.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So do you put the Diatomaceous Earth inside the Marineland Magnum? I have the Vortex, I gave up using it because it was PITA.
Put the filter assembly in a bucket of fresh salt water, then you dump the DE in the bucket and run the filter until water is clear. That is called charging the filter, I can't remember the amount of DE, maybe a cup or 2.

eric f prices sr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I have been using a Vortex Diatomaceous Earth filter D1 filter for decades to secoandary filter my tank and as a power head for vacuuming my tank. I have finally run out of the Vortex branded DE in the 1 pound bag.

Since the company no longer exists, what other types of DE can I use in lieu of the OEM stuff.

Thanks!
im a 31 year diatom filter user, u can go to a pool supply spot and find diatom, but also my brother who lives in kentucky alerted me that ollies had diatom for pools, i went to my local store in wv and found 10/20 lb boxes cheap, i got 4 boxes, im in search of filters for xl diatom if u know of any, i know arent we all, im not ready to giv up my filter i love it, only a true mcgyver type can handle a diatom, good luck

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 47.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.1%
Back