So what have you done to YOUR tank lately?

shollis2814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my rock tower in and moved some frags over to it.
WP_20160704_14_18_56_Pro.jpg

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drained all 40 gal plus 20gal sump because algae had taken over during my 2 week vacation. Removed all sand and put all animals back in after full water change. All seems to be going well. Vacations are a killer on tanks.

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pulled the black film off the back of my Red Sea Reefer series tank... I like it MUCH better!

I realize the first image is from a few months ago and with different lighting, but I didn't have a front shot with the new fixture and the film in place.

IMG_5690 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

IMG_6805 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

novajohn01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

star fawkes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last weekend I set up my garage for water production and phyto culturing. I have a 32 Gallon Brute with two powerheads mounted in the bottom that I keep topped off with saltwater. I also keep a 5 gallon bucket topped off with RO/DI.
20160731_160626.jpg

Here are two phytoplankton cultures I'm working on. These are both the first I've attempted. The dark green one is three days old and the lighter one is brand new. I have 6 other bottles ready with new saltwater for splitting these. I will most likely be changing my lighting on these when I start splitting and running more bottles. Oh, and yes, these are Bacardi bottles. Everyone drinks this much, right?
20160731_160605.jpg

I also picked up a 10 gallon at Petco's dollar per gallon sale and divided it in half to try out culturing tisbee copepods. Just waiting on a shipment from AlgaeBarn.

jasonamyers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today we added the DOS, DDR and Crystal ATO container to our RS Max E 170.
fdebffd4e4ffc42d42d259d7b298bb24.jpg

CeeGee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added this last night to replace a RLSS skimmer that had a defective pump that I seem to be unable to repair/replace. Haven't given up quite yet though but the tank has been running on my old i-Tech for months and quite frankly the i-Tech isn't anywhere near the skimmer the RLSS was when it actually worked.

Please pardon the mess as I was trying to get this thing together as quickly as possible.

Skimmer.jpg

star fawkes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a flame angel and my clowns definitely did not agree with him at all. I introduced the flame angel at lights out right after a feeding and they seemed to be hanging out together in the corner where the clowns usually sleep. In the morning when the lights kicked on the clowns decided they weren't sharing their territory anymore and went full attack mode. The poor angel had his fins tore up pretty bad. I took out both clowns and moved them to their own tank so the flame angel can establish his own territory while he recovers. I am going to pick up a clay pot to see if the clowns will mate since they are on their own, they have been a pair for over a year now.

CeeGee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up some extra snails and a new cleaner shrimp. Slowly acclimated said shrimp and put him in the tank. Fairy Wrasses attacked and devoured him like they have never eaten before. Wasn't too happy about it and it kinda blew my mind at the same time. I knew larger "predatory" fish would eat those things but Fairy Wrasses? Wow.

jlanger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spent the last four weeks slowly removing my fine grained sand bed for a Special Grade sand bed.
I have been struggling with high nutrient levels and decided that the three year old fine grained sand bed needed to be thoroughly cleaned. Cleaning the sand bed was essentially just stirring it up and trying to siphon out the detritus build up. The fine grains would just get siphoned out if I tried using an aquarium gravel vacuum. So I decided to remove the old sand and enlarge the sand grains a little bit by switching to the Special Grade Reef Sand; now it can be vacuumed during regular water changes.

The original sand bed.

The look at about 40% of the sand removed.

The new sand bed.

Not too much of a visual difference, but I like that fact that I can vacuum it and the water flow doesn't move it around as easily.

jlanger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about that last post guys; and too late to edit.
I didn't notice this was the MTRC page and not the main R2R thread.

CeeGee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
flanger,
your tank looks amazing. Love the pintail wrasse

novajohn01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spent the last four weeks slowly removing my fine grained sand bed for a Special Grade sand bed.
I have been struggling with high nutrient levels and decided that the three year old fine grained sand bed needed to be thoroughly cleaned. Cleaning the sand bed was essentially just stirring it up and trying to siphon out the detritus build up. The fine grains would just get siphoned out if I tried using an aquarium gravel vacuum. So I decided to remove the old sand and enlarge the sand grains a little bit by switching to the Special Grade Reef Sand; now it can be vacuumed during regular water changes.

The original sand bed.

The look at about 40% of the sand removed.

The new sand bed.

Not too much of a visual difference, but I like that fact that I can vacuum it and the water flow doesn't move it around as easily.
Ur good,,,,tank looks amazing

rcmike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I redid my water mixing station. I now have a 44 gal. Brute can for both the ro/di water and the saltwater. I also plumbed them with external plumbing and have it to where I can pump just freshwater into our freshwater tank as well.

Today I installed a Theiling Rollermat on my three tanks that are tied together. I always hated filter socks, especially since they would have to be changed almost daily or they would be so clogged they would overflow. I got to where I just wouldn't use them and the sump would get nasty and particles would be floating all through the tank. It's only been running a couple of hours and is already catching a bunch of crud. My biggest fear is that it will go through the fleece quickly. I'm sure it will at first but hopefully it will slow down as the tank gets cleaned up.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back