So what's been your coolest hitchiker or worst you have found

Cae

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I think they must still be in there somewhere cause I can't get my copepod population back up. I have heaps of amphapods but only a handful of copepods. My spotted Mandarins are pretty peeved. Luckily they eat pellets and frozen.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I think they must still be in there somewhere cause I can't get my copepod population back up. I have heaps of amphapods but only a handful of copepods. My spotted Mandarins are pretty peeved. Luckily they eat pellets and frozen.
I fear I might be in the exact same situation soon. Currently getting my mandarin fat in QT as we speak

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get him on pellets and frozen. Both mine did it really easy. The female got a bit stubborn but I didn't give in to her.
Oh I’m on it. I got mine from biota and the poor guy was missing a side fin! Didn’t eat for 4-5 days! One inch big! I was like:eek::eek:

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now she or he not (sure till it’s a year old I think) is finally eating frozen cyclops and pellets in the 200-400 micron range. That’s how tiny this fish is! But she eats all day and I’m gonna love watching her grow up

Cae

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like he/she had a rough time of it. Just makes you love them even more. But honestly you have to be tough to live in my house. Get what you're given and be thankful you got it. . I sound like a witch. I hope your little mandy goes well. If it's male you'll have to call him Nicholas after that champion golf player with one arm.

Last edited:

ThunderGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding to the list: I just found a tiny commensal acropora crab in my garf bonsai colony. It's going to be tough to get a pic, but this is exactly what it looks like.
acrocrab1.png
littlecrab_original.jpg
I got one of those same acropora crabs that came in on live rock. I keep thinking I should either get an acropora or give him to someone who has one.

XNavyDiver

Insightful answer loading... please wait.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got one of those same acropora crabs that came in on live rock. I keep thinking I should either get an acropora or give him to someone who has one.
I say get an acro. Any excuse for more acro is a good thing in my book.

PeterReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
upload_2018-1-26_14-39-18.png

I had a Medusa worm that was cool looking and it would clean my sand and poop out clean white sand!
Until.....it crawled up into a power head and released a toxin, which killed every fish in the tank within minutes!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Worse was a small mantis shrimp.....couldn't understand where constant clicking was coming from until one day he was at front of tank, and you can guess my reaction.
Best was a zoa rock which had chalice encrusted on the entire underside

Vaughn17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Three weeks ago I found an elephant slug, which is related to or a type of keyhole limpet. The lights were out and (using a flashlight) I saw this big black blob slithering over a rock and around some acro colonies. At first I thought it was a giant flatworm but when I tried to remove it and was unable to, I realized it had to be a snail of some sort. Turns out it was munching on my acros. I had been blaming the emerald crabs, because I had nothing else to blame, but the damage didn't look to be inflicted by any crab. It was a red planet and a purple slimmer (stag) and it looked like a miniature lawn mower had cut off their polyps in swathes. The damage would just about heal and then it would happen again. Now, the limpet is gone and no more damage.

Last night, I found a much nicer surprise...a baby scallop, the size of my pinkie nail, jetting in ragged spurts across the sandbed. Sorry, no photos. I can't take a decent pic in daylight, let alone after the lights are out.

Raindog3030

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hm...best hitchhiker so far would be Barney the purple-shelled stomatella!

And the worst...somewhere between the Myrionema Hydroids and the dastardly aiptasia!

20180123_204908.jpg

videosilva

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My best hitchiker was this bta last week
20170210_144403.jpeg
now look at it
20170216_233204.jpeg

How did you manage to get an anemone as a hitchhiker ? Did you buy some live rock and this was attached and no one noticed ? I presume water was added to the rock so that the anemone was able to live .

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 42.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back