So where is exactly should my Phosphate be?

Bombschell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went to a new coral and fish store in my area super nice guys (more on that in a different post later) we were talking and they asked what my Phosphate level was. I don't know was my answer because I haven't been testing for that. What have had is algae that is thinning out but can't quite get rid of. I bought a Hannah tester from them and tested when we got home I got a reading of .05. Is this high, low, or ok and what should I do about it?

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went to a new coral and fish store in my area super nice guys (more on that in a different post later) we were talking and they asked what my Phosphate level was. I don't know was my answer because I haven't been testing for that. What have had is algae that is thinning out but can't quite get rid of. I bought a Hannah tester from them and tested when we got home I got a reading of .05. Is this high, low, or ok and what should I do about it?
.05 is about perfect. Are you using RODI water with zero TDS?

Skimming?

Filtration?

OP
OP
Bombschell

Bombschell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
.05 is about perfect. Are you using RODI water with zero TDS?

Skimming?

Filtration?
I use bottled rodi water as I don't have an unit myself. I stopped skimming after the diatoms cleared up, but other stuff cropped up. I have and EVO 13.5 with the stock filtration for now, I did add a big bag of media to the chamber 1 when I removed the skimmer. Upgrade to filtration is probably the next project though. I did go with the pound of rock per gallon and some supposed "live" sand when we set it up

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
< .04

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly the hole chasing phosphate numbers is kind of bolognea. I wouldn't let it go much over .14ppm. Its all about balance not numbers.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use bottled rodi water as I don't have an unit myself. I stopped skimming after the diatoms cleared up, but other stuff cropped up. I have and EVO 13.5 with the stock filtration for now, I did add a big bag of media to the chamber 1 when I removed the skimmer. Upgrade to filtration is probably the next project though. I did go with the pound of rock per gallon and some supposed "live" sand when we set it up

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
.03 mg/l to .5 mg/l. Keep in mind we're only testing for Dissolved Inorganic Phosphate with our tests and can't test for dissolved organic forms or for particulate forms. Also keep in mind cryptic sponges which you will invariably end up having to some extent are messing with phosphorus also. Here's some links you might find informative:

Phosphorus metabolism of reef organisms with algal symbionts

Here's fig 4 from the above paper:

DIP DOP POP.jpg

Effects of phosphate on growth and skeletal density in the scleractinian coral Acropora muricata: A controlled experimental approach (Fastest growth was at .5 mg/l)

High phosphate uptake requirements of the scleractinian coral Stylophora pistillata

Sponge symbionts and the marine P cycle

Phosphorus sequestration in the form of polyphosphate by microbial symbionts in marine sponges

hosphate Deficiency:
Nutrient enrichment can increase the susceptibility of reef corals to bleaching:

Ultrastructural Biomarkers in Symbiotic Algae Reflect the Availability of Dissolved Inorganic Nutrients and Particulate Food to the Reef Coral Holobiont:

Phosphate deficiency promotes coral bleaching and is reflected by the ultrastructure of symbiotic dinoflagellates

BActeria and Sponges

Maintenance of Coral Reef Health (refferences at the end)

Richard Ross What's up with phosphate"

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back