So you're how old and you have a saltwater aquarium?

How old are you?

• 13-18

Votes: 44 2.5%
  • 18-24

Votes: 105 5.8%
  • 25-34

Votes: 483 26.9%
  • 35-44

Votes: 547 30.5%
  • 45-54

Votes: 356 19.8%
  • 55-64

Votes: 194 10.8%
  • 65+

Votes: 66 3.7%

• Total voters

SFKINNC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Age has, at least, this much to do with us aquaristas: There are limits to how many hours we can spend on our water-borne buddies at different stages of life. School years: Depend on parents for cash and space for our tanks. In our family, school years meant that time for study came first. Chores, church, and family obligations all trumped time for hobbies. Then came working years: Work, marriage, family all take precedence. Children arrive: Their needs take over your life. Kids grow up and leave. You’re still working, but then you have more time and more money — until medical costs begin to eat up your money and aches and pains begin to sap your energy. At 70 years old, I’ve noticed that buckets are heavier than they used to be. Sometimes it’s easier to use a pitcher to empty them than to lift them to the sink or carry them to the driveway. Some days I just have to fill those buckets half way instead of full. Space in a smaller house limits the number of tanks, storage for supplies, and where your pets can live. If you want to travel, who will babysit your goldfish, or better yet, who will target feed a bunch of corals? Still, I’d do it again if I could, and I’ll keep on until I just can’t any more. Enjoy it my friends. I do.

Mechanic907

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just turned 45, had a 55 gallon saltwater tank when I was 16 for about 4 years I’ve missed having a saltwater tank so it was time to start a new one. Things are a lot different now there is so much information available to hobbyists now on the internet and forums like this one. I can’t wait to get my cycle started and start adding livestock

reefaroo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried the hobby a few times now. First in the '70's with a ridiculously cheesy setup. I recently started a 12 gallon cube about 3 months ago and it is doing great. One fish and 8 corals all growing. I love the hobby. I will be 70 in 2 months.

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now 55. Started at 10 with swordtails and guppies in a stainless steel tank with a slate bottom with my dad.
Thanks Dad! [emoji846]
Some very fond memories.

Started small pond building back in the nineties. Still have one out back.

Fresh water with fish and plants back in early 2000's.
Salt since 2012.

rjdasilva

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I envy all the young folks especially those in their teens that are swept up in this amazing hobby with the rest of us. I'm 67 and find myself still planning how to improve the life of my corals and fishes while creating a natural setting. I love it when my 2 year old grandson drags his small chair up to my reef tank to get a better view of the shrimp and hermits skirting about after he helps me feed some pellets.....makings of a future reefer. I’ve already downsized to my 50 cube to simplify things but wife says it’s even more complicated now with more coral acquired. Like others in this percentile group, I shall be active for another 20 years , if I’m lucky.

Bob Lauson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am 56 and have had reed tanks for about 12 years. On my fourth tank now and have progresses from a 30 gallon to a 75 gallon to a 125 gallon to my current 180 gallon. Had to completely start over three times due long distance moves but must love it enough to deal with ugly tank start up 3 times.

Drew Lallathin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At 23 now I’ll say it does in some ways. I went through 3 failed attempts at tanks because of not being properly set up, not having a good enough paying job for upkeep and pure laziness. But with the help of a good paying steady job I still manage to be a broke reef keeper but with a now very successful 80 gallon mixed reef with the equipment it needs to thrive

Fotocha

I have nightmares of jumping fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
37 now (actively kept my first aquarium (s) at the age of 7 into my early 20's. Summer reading program at school... Fish books lol) moved around for a number of years and I have been unable to keep Aquariums until recently. Growing up my father was a LFS owner, breeder, early aquarium designer (OMG, the man has stories. Most of which I can't verify for certainty :rolleyes:). We always had tanks around the house. As many as 11 at one point. My father who is now 78, wants desperately to return to the hobby. He lives with my older sister, she feels because of his age he can no longer manage one/afford one. Breaks my heart :(

Now trying to pass on the hobby to my 2 girls. Wish me luck atm LOL Dolls > Aquariums lol

shrimped

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m 16 years (junior in highschool), started reefing 2 years ago.
I like to mess with nps coral lol
I created a group chat on Instagram that consists of young reefers ranging from age 14-17.
One of em collects high end Cornbred pieces while another half cracked the code for keeping crinoids alive in captivity.
It’s really cool how so many young people can solve mysterious problems that haven’t been solved by more experienced reefers.
Any young reefers can pm me if interested.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 40 27.0%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 32 21.6%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 35 23.6%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 38 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back