So you're how old and you have a saltwater aquarium?

How old are you?

• 13-18

Votes: 44 2.5%
  • 18-24

Votes: 105 5.8%
  • 25-34

Votes: 483 26.9%
  • 35-44

Votes: 547 30.5%
  • 45-54

Votes: 356 19.8%
  • 55-64

Votes: 194 10.8%
  • 65+

Votes: 66 3.7%

• Total voters

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just turned 30 and I’ve had a tank for most of my life.
I got my first aquarium, a 150L tank, as a gift from my grandfather when I turned three (he had been keeping fish since the 50’s) and never looked back.
On the freshwater side of things I’ve mostly kept large predatory species and by the time I was 10 I had a 720L tank [emoji1]

Got my first reef tank when I was 12 (used the very same 150L tank that my grandad gave me!) and with a lot of research, and some help from my father who’s an engineer, made it work.

Tumey

Reefer With A Broken Brain ( TBI Survivor )
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m 43 and have had my tank for about 13 years now. Age IMO is just a number as some of you have already said.

rob safron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
55, first saltwater tank at 21. Yes it gets harder with age. Thinking about starting a remote sump/equipment room. Getting uncomfortable working under the stand.

kp1991

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always had freshwater since i was 4yrs old helping my mom with her pond when i was 20 i bought my first arowana and indo datnoid and got into monster freshwater fish im 27 now and always wanted a saltwater setup so last year i set up a fowlr local laws prohibit reefing [emoji849] been a year now and couldnt be happier i do waterchanges once a week i put alot of effort into upkeep so i guess you can say been in the aquatics trade for 23yrs wow hard to believe

Ken Cyrus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post #2 got my attention here.

In a couple of months I'll be 70 and as my wife puts it, "You're 69 going on 29!" I still race sports cars (40 years), active snorkeler (18 years), and I'm a basic adrenaline junkie (since I was 16). And now that my wife and I are both retired we have taken up more serious travel. In March we go to Churchill, Manitoba, Canada for 7 days to see the Aurora Borealis (northern lights) which has long been on my 'bucket list'. BTW, the average night time temperature there in mid March is 15 degrees below zero fahrenheit! And like Kris Reef stated, I do feel my body getting older and even my mind working a bit slower, but I've never had more fun in life than I am at almost 70!

So I may be in the smallest percentile group in this survey (over 65) but I feel like I'd fit in the bigger group just fine! :cool:
That's great

Crested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm 19 and have been in the freshwater hobby basically all my life because of my parents and just got into the saltwater side about 3 weeks ago!

FishDude25

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm 20. Had a freshwater tank for 7 years, but took it down when I moved to the East Coast in October. Started my first saltwater tank last month :D

OldManSea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
64, started when I was 15. We all started with crushed coral substrate and undergravel filters. There was a guy in the Far East, Lee Chin Eng, who had tanks with only rock for filtration and air stones and full natural sunlight, positing that natural systems with nitrifying bacteria and intense lighting were superior to the sterile systems we had. There was an article TFH with photos of his amazing tanks. What a nut we all thought!

coezy2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m 52 and have had my own salt tank since I was 12. My father had a large salt tank at his bank that he took care of. First tank had under gravel filters and crushed coral substrate. My have times changed! Worked at Petland when they were around in high school and with access to the order sheet, I was hooked! Now my wife and I take a trip to the keys every year and dive with friends that are commercial collectors. We have seen the reef change, areas get more populated with with certain species one year and almost none the next. The satisfaction of catching your own queen angel as a little juvenile and watching them grow and mature and eat out of your hand is something I will never get tired of and hope I still have many years to continue the hobby!

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going on 69, spent the first part of my life traveling the world courtesy of Uncle Sams Army.
I have had a Salt water tank the last five years, Fresh three years before. I have bad migraines daily but I still feed and do most maintenance

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 100 76.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 11 8.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 17 13.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back