So you're how old and you have a saltwater aquarium?

How old are you?

• 13-18

Votes: 44 2.5%
  • 18-24

Votes: 105 5.8%
  • 25-34

Votes: 483 26.9%
  • 35-44

Votes: 547 30.5%
  • 45-54

Votes: 356 19.8%
  • 55-64

Votes: 194 10.8%
  • 65+

Votes: 66 3.7%

• Total voters

Bj’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m 45 now, I’ve been in the hobby since I was fourteen. However I finally achieved success about three years ago with the salt water side. Now I can’t go back to fresh water. Freshwater is so simple even a caveman can do it.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m 45 now, I’ve been in the hobby since I was fourteen. However I finally achieved success about three years ago with the salt water side. Now I can’t go back to fresh water. Freshwater is so simple even a caveman can do it.

Planted tanks can be just as challenging

Bj’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah but they are kinda set it and done. I’ve done the planted tank thing, however it just didn’t do it for me. I really like the diversity of reef keeping.

Diehard reefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m 15 and been in the hobby for 5 years. Never lost my passion. I don’t think I can! The ocean is just too big and there is always something new. Just this passed year I have started selling things and sending corals all over the country to fund my expensive taste in coral. I also was given the opportunity to go to MACNA 2018 and it was way more fun than hanging out with my high school buddies. I just love coral! Eventually I’d love to become a vendor but for now I am content with just growing my collection. Great to see there are also some other young guns out there.

MSB123

Someone out there put something smart here.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m 15 and been in the hobby for 5 years. Never lost my passion. I don’t think I can! The ocean is just too big and there is always something new. Just this passed year I have started selling things and sending corals all over the country to fund my expensive taste in coral. I also was given the opportunity to go to MACNA 2018 and it was way more fun than hanging out with my high school buddies. I just love coral! Eventually I’d love to become a vendor but for now I am content with just growing my collection. Great to see there are also some other young guns out there.
That’s awesome! Great to see another person my age on here!
Send me a pm and we can chat!

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, a more or less Guassian curve. I'm shocked, shocked I say!

I'm toward the upper end. ;Happy

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turning 59 in exactly a month. Had FW tanks as a kid and have not been without an aquarium since 1986. Got into SW in the 90s and reefing since 2004.

In 2014 I began keeping seahorses. They need excellent water quality and so water changes are done much more frequently. Since I was a 54 year old woman, lifting 5 gallon buckets was getting a bit harder, especially since I was doing 24 gallons a week. I had thought about a basement sump for a decade but the seahorses' need of such big water changes pushed me into action. I moved a 20L tank into the basement directly underneath the seahorse display tank and turned it into a diy sump. My husband and I tapped into the nearby coldwater pipe to hook up my ro/di. It was fortuitous that our basement had a drain right there where I needed one. This upgrade has made it possible for me to continue to enjoy my ponies.

I also have a 56 gallon AIO fish reef. It only needs a 5 gallon WC a week and I am able to do that just fine. When my 3 seahorses live out their natural lives I will take down their tank. I will hook up the 56 gallon fish reef to the the basement sump. I am in very good health and with my basement sump I expect that I will be enjoying my 56 gallon reef for many years to come.

BranchingHammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
14 yrs old. I’ve been in the hobby since I was 10, freshwater planted tanks at first, then saltwater, and now my 65g reef tank for 2 years. Now I sell coral at frag swaps. Just like many others, I have payed for all of my expenses. I also scuba dive and love the ocean.

BranchingHammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice to see other young people out there

My age isn’t even on the poll lol. Started reefing at 14, I’m now 16, turning 17 in a few months. Unfortunately most people my age aren’t willing to put in the time or money, it would definitely be cool to have some friends that are into the hobby as well.

Hehe at this point I’m used to hanging out with a bunch of guys that are anywhere between 30 and 70. I’m definitely going to scroll through and look for that though, thanks for mentioning it!

tripdad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am 56 years young. We had freshwater when I was a kid. Started salt in '83 with dead coral skeletons and dolomite sand over a plate filter. Took a break when we had our triplets, was a little busy and broke, lol. Got back in when they were in High School as a way to engage with them. It worked well. I am now joining reef addicts anonymous as it has become a problem.

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I see we have some young reefers. Keep up the good work. Get a summer internship at WWC! That would be something you'd tell people about for the rest of your life.

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I will be 25 on the fifth of next month Urgh, where has the time gone? My love for the ocean started when I was very young. The passion for saltwater tanks and reefs was inspired by my high school biology teacher. Which happens do inspire my two undergraduate degrees in marine biology and micro biology.

It also served as another option, I once had a yellow lab named Tarzan and he was thee best dog ever. Once he passed from old age, I was never able to even have the heart to replace him with another puppy. So I fell in love with saltwater fish and corals. Plus it’s not easy, it takes some talent to be successful and dedication.

It’s nice to see such an amazing curve of ages in this hobby, but would definitely love to see more females get involved. Which I know several ladies with marine biology degrees and work in the field. But they simply do not like fish tanks lol. But it’s nice to see younger adults become more responsible earlier, but it’s also heart warming that even those who think they are too old are still dedicated. Remember one only becomes old, when one actually believes they are old.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Remember one only becomes old, when one actually believes they are old.

I joke about it a lot but I don't really feel old, and I make up for it by acting super immature at all appropriate opportunities!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back