So you're how old and you have a saltwater aquarium?

How old are you?

• 13-18

Votes: 44 2.5%
  • 18-24

Votes: 105 5.8%
  • 25-34

Votes: 483 26.9%
  • 35-44

Votes: 547 30.5%
  • 45-54

Votes: 356 19.8%
  • 55-64

Votes: 194 10.8%
  • 65+

Votes: 66 3.7%

• Total voters

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm 51 and have been in the hobby since 1973 when I was gifted a 10 gallon tank after breaking my foot. I have had either freshwater or marine aquariums (or more often both) going close to non stop since...

I had more energy for multiple tanks when I was younger, but have more patience and spending money now. It sort of balances out I guess....

James Macaluso

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm 17, turning 18 in a few months. Got in the hobby 3 years ago and Im addicted for sure. I work at a LFS here in Miami and learn a lot. I also am a certified diver and do a lot of offshore fishing. Safe to say Im doing something ocean related 90 percent of my free time ;Woot
My nano 20 below

IMG_0484.jpg

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am nearly 51. Been keeping aquariums since 1973. Saltwater since 89.

I actually believe one of the things that keeps me pressing is keeping aquariums. I spend a lot more time on details now than I used to. Just look at my build. LOL!

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope your married now, they say if not married by 30, your chances are more likely to be hit by lightning than getting married ever. Heehee
I've been married since I was 21 ;)

MSB123

Someone out there put something smart here.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm only 16, been in the hobby for three years now. I have no help from anyone in paying for any of my fish keeping stuff, in any aspect. Its all me. I work for my LFS as a service technician maintaining and installing tanks. I know a few younger reefers, but not many as young as me.
Same here. 15 in 6 days. Been doing it alone since I was 11. I have always supported myself and tried very hard not to depend on others. Of course, it doesn’t leave much money to go to the movies, but I’d rather do tank work any day!

MSB123

Someone out there put something smart here.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone's different, but I'd say typically either in college or on your own. There are so many thing that go into owning a reef that there does need to be a certain level of maturity and stability.

That being said, nothing wrong with a younger kid getting into the hobby as long as they're a family member that is also in it with them.

I got into the hobby myself when I was 22, took a break for about 10 years, and am now back in it!

35 over here
I disagree. I personally do not rely on my family for support. They know nothing about the tank, other then I have fish and I spend all of my free time working on it. I do agree that a certain level of maturity is required.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I met my SO at 20-21 (he was 25) he had a reef tank. And by reef tank I mean some green rocks, a piece of bubble coral, and a couple of clownfish we could kind of see through the dirty glass. I was a bartender, he worked second shift, and we were both in the "party hard" phase of life. After a while, he tore the tank down and returned the fish to the LFS... and we didnt think much about the ole reef tank. A few years later, we were much more subdued (who can afford to go out every night with loans and bills to pay?) and I became pregnant with our son. At this point, we needed something to keep us occupied in our newly-domesticated life. So, we bought a little nano tank and I fell in love with the hobby. In this phase of reef-keeping, we thought we could break all the rules. Mandarin in a nano? Heck yea... I can pod farm! QT? Who needs it! Well... from sheer dumb luck that tank survived long enough to reach a couple of upgrades, before eventually crashing due to velvet, GHA, and AEFW. From that point on, we had several different tanks with varying success... learned a LOT about what rules could be broken and which are better followed, and have come to have a pretty decent understanding of what is needed to keep a stable system. Age had some bearing on our attitudes in the beginning I'm sure, and a few catastrophic failures will definitely add humility to any aged reefer. But, I think hands-on experience and guidance from other more seasoned reef-keepers is really what makes the biggest impact on our ability.

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m 45 and started keeping saltwater tanks when I was about 8. I’ve always done it on my own. Growing up, I paid for everything through various jobs. My parents never understood but we’re always supportive and never upset with water spills, etc. now that I’m older and married with kids, I’m still basically on my own. My wife and kids don’t really have a clue other than thinking it’s nice to have a reef tank in the house.

I’d say what changed for me with age is not being financially limited. When I was a kid every penny counted and I basically spent all my income on my tanks. Now I can afford to do things right, regardless of cost. I can have a custom tank, what corals and fish I want, and not have to worry if something like a pump fails.

I will also say, to be in the hobby this long you have to really LOVE it. If I didn’t love it I would have been out decades ago!

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
45, started when I was just shy of 37. I still feel like a new person many, many weeks. I had a 32gal biocube absolutely thriving at one point, and a 60 cube that was doing very well. Have had my 220 up for a year and the struggle is real lol! I thought larger was supposed to be easier, but it hasn't been the case for me. Still, I enjoy it for some reason and, for likely even stranger reasons, my wife supports this money pit of a hobby and for that I am extremely grateful.

isufishtank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm only 18 and manage to keep a 20g saltwater and 28g freshwater tank in my dorm! I don't think age has much to do with success in this hobby other than the experience that comes with it. In my opinion devotion, passion, and effort is all you need to find success regardless of age.

York1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
43 for a few more days. Been in the hobby since i was 15. The only things that have changed with age are stability and money. I moved around a lot when i was younger and that made setting up a tank long term impossible. Now that i am older money isn't so tight. I can afford to grab a few frags at the LFS without spending the rent/food money

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 163 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%

Back