Soak Chaeto in fresh water?

xiongsy

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 25, 2023
Messages
301
Reaction score
159
Location
Little Elm
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning to add chaeto from my LFS into my reactor. I want to be extra careful with what is introduced in my tank as everyone is doing great and gets along very well. Can I buy the chaeto and let it soak in rodi water? If yes, how long should I soak to ensure all ick and anything else that is unwanted dies off?
 
I'm planning to add chaeto from my LFS into my reactor. I want to be extra careful with what is introduced in my tank as everyone is doing great and gets along very well. Can I buy the chaeto and let it soak in rodi water? If yes, how long should I soak to ensure all ick and anything else that is unwanted dies off?
I soak in tap water from time to time.
SAME TEMPERATURE AS YOUR Reef, or very close.
 
Thanks all!
 
Last edited:
Ro/DI water will not hurt chaeto… I believe most micro-algae’s can take a RO/DI bath. Should rid of most pest but as mentioned above Aiptasia won’t be fazed…
* I’ve heard of plenty of reefers that use tap water but I try not to use tap water with anything that goes into my tanks.
 
Update: Soaked 2 hrs in tap water. Squeezed water out. It's a rough setup and will need to be adjusted tomorrow morning. Lights will run for 24 hrs for now until I can get my nitrates down. I may even dim the [edit: DT] light 50% for the next few days just to give the chaeto a chance.
20230218_003027.jpg
Will update in a few weeks!
 
I'm planning to add chaeto from my LFS into my reactor. I want to be extra careful with what is introduced in my tank as everyone is doing great and gets along very well. Can I buy the chaeto and let it soak in rodi water? If yes, how long should I soak to ensure all ick and anything else that is unwanted dies off?
Neither ick nor Aptasia will be eliminated.
 
Algae Barn sells "clean chaeto" for anyone looking to avoid potential pests. It's not cheap, but is a safer option. I personally have never had issues with pests coming in chaeto though, only pods, bristleworms and other harmless hitchhikers. Maybe I'm just lucky :thinking-face:
 
Algae Barn sells "clean chaeto" for anyone looking to avoid potential pests. It's not cheap, but is a safer option. I personally have never had issues with pests coming in chaeto though, only pods, bristleworms and other harmless hitchhikers. Maybe I'm just lucky :thinking-face:
It's just an extra precaution. I soaked in fw for 2 hours and rinsed. All is well.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 12 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 8 33.3%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 12 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 29.2%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new