Soak Chaeto in fresh water?

xiongsy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning to add chaeto from my LFS into my reactor. I want to be extra careful with what is introduced in my tank as everyone is doing great and gets along very well. Can I buy the chaeto and let it soak in rodi water? If yes, how long should I soak to ensure all ick and anything else that is unwanted dies off?

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning to add chaeto from my LFS into my reactor. I want to be extra careful with what is introduced in my tank as everyone is doing great and gets along very well. Can I buy the chaeto and let it soak in rodi water? If yes, how long should I soak to ensure all ick and anything else that is unwanted dies off?
I soak in tap water from time to time.
SAME TEMPERATURE AS YOUR Reef, or very close.

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ro/DI water will not hurt chaeto… I believe most micro-algae’s can take a RO/DI bath. Should rid of most pest but as mentioned above Aiptasia won’t be fazed…
* I’ve heard of plenty of reefers that use tap water but I try not to use tap water with anything that goes into my tanks.

OP
OP
xiongsy

xiongsy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Soaked 2 hrs in tap water. Squeezed water out. It's a rough setup and will need to be adjusted tomorrow morning. Lights will run for 24 hrs for now until I can get my nitrates down. I may even dim the [edit: DT] light 50% for the next few days just to give the chaeto a chance.
20230218_003027.jpg
Will update in a few weeks!

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neither ick nor Aptasia will be eliminated.

SoFlo Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae Barn sells "clean chaeto" for anyone looking to avoid potential pests. It's not cheap, but is a safer option. I personally have never had issues with pests coming in chaeto though, only pods, bristleworms and other harmless hitchhikers. Maybe I'm just lucky :thinking-face:

OP
OP
xiongsy

xiongsy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae Barn sells "clean chaeto" for anyone looking to avoid potential pests. It's not cheap, but is a safer option. I personally have never had issues with pests coming in chaeto though, only pods, bristleworms and other harmless hitchhikers. Maybe I'm just lucky :thinking-face:
It's just an extra precaution. I soaked in fw for 2 hours and rinsed. All is well.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 64 31.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back