Social Acclimation Box for new Percula?

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'm building a harem, or it might be two pairs, not really sure.

My "True Perc" matron clownfish has a Black & White mate that she stole from a smaller Black & White after her Perc hubby died. I now have a small new True Perc that may be an ORA Onyx - same markings. LFS didn't have him clearly labelled.
He's cleared QT and is in a ReefGently Acclimate social acclimation box. The other three clowns have been very interested, and he escaped once when I was releasing another fish from the box.
They were all over him, especially the matron. Lots of vocalizing, some tail grabbing/dragging. It was pretty bad and although I didn't see any real damage I decided to put him back in the box.

My question is - while in the box is it even possible for them to complete the domination/submission process? Observing them so far it doesn't seem like it's progressing. They face off through the acrylic and nothing much happens. No twitching. I'll add a couple of video clips to show the usual behavior. Thoughts? Should I just let him out so they can all put him in his place?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would doubt, in this case, that the acclimation/socialization box is going to be effective. Clowns need to 'work it out' face to face. I've had plenty of would-be-pairs get really rough with each other. Some end up dying, but mostly they do pair up. I think you just have to let them do their thing and hope for the best. One thing you might try is to take the resident clown that is odd-man-out and put it into the box with the newbie.

OP
OP
don_chuwish

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would doubt, in this case, that the acclimation/socialization box is going to be effective. Clowns need to 'work it out' face to face. ... One thing you might try is to take the resident clown that is odd-man-out and put it into the box with the newbie.

Thanks! I kinda felt the same way and was looking for a confirmation. My wife made the same suggestion of putting the little Black & White in the box. The trick of course is catching the guy!

OP
OP
don_chuwish

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fun experiment this evening, I pushed the box down deeper so the top was open to the rest of the tank. After a while the little guy ventured out, got harassed a bit and retreated back in. This confounded boss mama and her boys for a while but eventually she went in too. Then she was just too bothered about being the box to do an dominating, but there was some interaction. This repeated several times until he just decided to stay in there. So I tilted it about 45 degrees - he still stayed in there for the most part. Now he's secured back in for the night. I was a nicely mediated interaction over all.
I have lots of video, but honestly probably too much. I'll see if I can edit down to some highlights.

OP
OP
don_chuwish

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that was a disaster. I feel like an idiot. Poor little guy had such a good life before being thrown to the wolves.
R.I.P.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back