Social distancing

Wee Mad Arthur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided to buy a TMC unit - arrives tomorrow. I understand that the water produced can last quite a while but is this only on the basis it has something turning it over? I.e. can I leave it in a sealed container in the garage for any length of time?

I didn’t think TMC did a version with a DI filter?

OP
OP
Mark Bradley

Mark Bradley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t think TMC did a version with a DI filter?

this is what I bought
image.jpg

Wee Mad Arthur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is what I bought
image.jpg

Yeah there’s no di on that. They sell it as an extra but you’d also have to buy extra pipe to connect it. Do you have a TDS meter of some sort to test the produced water? You might not need DI but I strongly suspect you will.

OP
OP
Mark Bradley

Mark Bradley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah there’s no di on that. They sell it as an extra but you’d also have to buy extra pipe to connect it. Do you have a TDS meter of some sort to test the produced water? You might not need DI but I strongly suspect you will.
I did buy a TDS meter so as to check

OP
OP
Mark Bradley

Mark Bradley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the one I use https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-Stage-RO-DI-resin-50-100-150GPD-reverse-osmosis-water-filter-system-aquarium/282667696158?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Might be cheaper than your TMC branded one. Not too late to send it back if you haven’t used it. Just a thought.
Would have been cheaper but all set up now. I did speak to the shop for some time and the topic of DI didn’t come up. Is it absolutely necessary or a ‘nice to have’ assuming my TDS isn’t outside of perimeters?

ejl2529

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was under the impression that fish/pet stores were exempt from the lockdowns since they are considered a primary source of food and care for pets like grocery stores and pharmacies are for people. However, an eventual RO/DI Unit is the optimal solution.

OP
OP
Mark Bradley

Mark Bradley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What the shop said:

‘The DI pod will help with your filtration if anything does get past the RO membrane, but it is not essential and is absolutely up to you’

Will Run as is and do a measure of the TDS - if it’s unacceptable I’ll buy the add on.

OP
OP
Mark Bradley

Mark Bradley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was under the impression that fish/pet stores were exempt from the lockdowns since they are considered a primary source of food and care for pets like grocery stores and pharmacies are for people. However, an eventual RO/DI Unit is the optimal solution.
My LFS are just doing sales via online not face2face

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a petco near you. (they are in London). In NY they are considered essential and open for business. They carry both rodi an saltwater and if not in stock they can order it for you.

OP
OP
Mark Bradley

Mark Bradley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What state are you in just curious? In my area in Illinois that has a state wide lockdown in effect all the fish/pet stores that I have been to recently are open fully.

We are not in a total lockdown yet. People can still go out for essential items or once a day for exercise. However, it’s still evident that some people are still going about life as if nothing has changed. Banks remain open as do petrol stations, supermarkets etc. Some aquatic shops are still open but some are closed (seems to be on an individual basis at the moment).
Just been announced that our Prime Minister has been diagnosed positive!

OP
OP
Mark Bradley

Mark Bradley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now have the RO, with DI pod, set up - going to run it first time today. Then heat up, add airstone and salt - bought an old fashion glass hydrometer, to keep it floating, to aid measuring.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 25.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 30.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back