Social Media and Reefing: How does it effect you?

How has social media impacted the reef aquarium hobby for you?

• All Positive

Votes: 62 13.8%
  • Mostly Positive

Votes: 210 46.7%
  • Somewhat Positive

Votes: 63 14.0%
  • Somewhat Negative

Votes: 22 4.9%
  • Mostly Negative

Votes: 16 3.6%
  • All Negative

Votes: 4 0.9%
  • Neither Positive or Negative

Votes: 73 16.2%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So today I want to pick your brain a little and in return we get a nice topic and I get some talking points for an upcoming presentation! I'm sinister I know! Muhaaaaa! (evil grin)

With the advancement of social media we have had a tremendous growth in the popularity of our hobby as well as an advancement in reefing knowledge and education. People use many different outlets of social media to discuss, and learn about saltwater aquariums. These outlets include, but are not limited to, Forums, Facebook, Instagram, Youtube, Reddit and more. Social media impacts reefing in so many ways both positive and negative and that's what I would like for us to talk about today.

How has social media (forums, facebook etc.) impacted you in a positive or negative way? Talk about both if you will.

social media.jpg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
IMO social media provides a lot of information and some of it is even accurate. It is a powerful and helpful tool if you are selective. Additionally it creates the platform for new connections and a space for community.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
R2R is the only social media I do. I don't have facebook. I don't have myspace (is that still a thing?) I don't have instagram, pinterest, youtube, buzzfeed, anything.
This place is all the social media I need :)

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today I want to pick your brain a little and in return we get a nice topic and I get some talking points for an upcoming presentation! I'm sinister I know! Muhaaaaa! (evil grin)

With the advancement of social media we have had a tremendous growth in the popularity of our hobby as well as an advancement in reefing knowledge and education. People use many different outlets of social media to discuss, and learn about saltwater aquariums. These outlets include, but are not limited to, Forums, Facebook, Instagram, Youtube, Reddit and more. Social media impacts reefing in so many ways both positive and negative and that's what I would like for us to talk about today.

How has social media (forums, facebook etc.) impacted you in a positive or negative way? Talk about both if you will.

social media.jpg
I dumped Facebook after about a year and a half of use. It helped reconnect with friends and family but the fact I was the product combined with the social engineering in the background made me quit using it. I logged on maybe 4 times last year to check messages and remembered why I left.

I left because I started using a site called Reef2Reef.

My wife was suspecious at first but now she just feels left out when I'm on here. It's a great place to come during work hours except that nothing gets done while I am on here.

It's a great place to share ideas and experiences and learn about reef keeping from the community.

I also like to write (and make stuff up sometimes under the literary license) but ususally I just check in to see what is new (coral, fish, equipment, husbandry) and try to improve my own reef.

I've learned to write better, trying to stay positive and be clear about the topic and hopfully I have helped others with my wit and wisdom. I know I've learnt alot from the good folk on here.

mcbdz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love that we have places to research our plans and a place we can ask questions from people with different experiences. I do FB, you tube, Instagram, LARC, and R2R. Also learn stuff you didn't even know you didn't know. LOL. Also can find people close by that are in the hobby and become friends.

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like internet forums, and particularly R2R of course. They are a definite positive impact on the hobby in my opinion...

I left every reef Facebook group I joined. For lack of a more politically correct way to put this, they were all too "dumbed down" for me.

BrandonS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's like anything with the internet. Super helpful but you have to be able to separate the BS, sensational headlines with no substance, gimicks, adds, flukes, etc from the good info. A good LFS, reefing friends and or a ton of research helps with this. You also sometimes have to just have the guts to try things. Resources that others recommend are a great start too, but you always have to have a good filter. Also as with anything social media people showing failures or talking about overcoming issues are often more valuable than the person who seems to never have any problems.

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
R2R is 99% my go to. With that said any and all social media requires a discerning eye to really benefit. If I was brand new in this hobby, I think the massive amount of information and misinformation out there can lead to frustration and too often failure. If you are new I personally think it is easier to find a source or two that really speaks to you and work with that. Piecemealing methodologies and ideas from too many sources doesn’t typically go well.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
FB groups seem to be loaded with people who do not know much and give lots of bad advice and misinformation. Allot of people that know something are pretty much avoiding FB groups now.
There also seems to be a lot more rude people on FB and I know that has led to allot of the knowledgeable people not using FB groups and some forums.. The experienced reefers basically are going why bother anymore and avoiding social media and going to more private forums or groups. Some are just leaving the forums and social media all together.

What stinks over the last year some of that rudeness is overflowing to the forums and not just the fish forums. It is like people have lost there manners and social skills. Basically it goes like this: I disagree with you so I will insult you instead of debating. I think it comes from the polarized politics in this country.

It has led me to using social media allot less including forums. I do not use social media to fight with people, I come to help or learn. It has actually hurt the whole hobby for me and I find i am not as interested because I love helping others.

It is now leading to the growth of private forums. Private forums are different with no sponsors and it is not about post counts it is about quality post. Again this is not just about this hobby it is was social media has created.

Last edited:

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Social media for reefing is no different than social media for anything else. I participate in online forums for all my hobbies. Definitely an overall positive, though not without some negatives. The ability to connect with people that you otherwise would not connect with and be exposed to clever new ideas are all strong positives. Social media is also just as good at disseminating mis-information and perpetuating myths. Online has also effectively killed off the reef book publishing business which is a shame. I get that no book can provide the real time information that an online forum can, but writing and publishing a book also requires some experience and knowledge. Making a forum post or a youtuvbe video requires neither.

TVV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm an old school guy not using social media normally. I am an engineer that likes to figure things out through analytics and research.
However, I cannot imagine having the success with starting, maintaining and enjoying my little reef without R2R and its multitude of highly motivated, experienced and successful members.

ashley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
R2R is the only social media I do. I don't have facebook. I don't have myspace (is that still a thing?) I don't have instagram, pinterest, youtube, buzzfeed, anything.
This place is all the social media I need :)
I am on the same page as Crabs! No social media for me! I do wish for contest there were more ways for me to enter due to I don't have any social media!!!!

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like everything else, no matter what you say, no matter how much experience you have in something, there is that guy who is going to say you are wrong. Then they will argue forever when they have no clue.

A&Aaquatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most reef groups on social media are a terrible place for people to learn. Lots of bad information still circulating around. Its nice to have input from many people but take everything with a grain of salt.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 25 29.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back