Soda Ash Staining?

adrianbranches

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reefers,

I needed to increase my pH so I got some soda ash and made a mixed solution with RO water. After letting it sit for 12 hours I decided to add it to my tank. My tank was cloudy for a while and had some remains of soda ash that didn’t completely dissolve. The water cleared but there was soda ash on the glass and walls. I was able to clean the glass but not the back of my BioCube plastic black wall. Looks shady. I’ve attached photos for reference. I used a sponge, toothbrush, and finger. Nothing seems to dig it out. Is it stained? Thank you in advance, it’s making my tank look a little off and appreciate the help.

7F4B3A66-B81B-4E0A-BEF4-41FF2F3CC48C.jpeg 9D7A848E-D53E-42DB-8B3C-1DC7C409BFF2.jpeg 1A766706-0BEE-44F0-ACAE-75E51E7F7E01.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_9180.MOV
    4.3 MB

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of the solution precipitated out. You can try a old credit card as a scraper.

FWIW - NEVER NEVER Chase pH!!! Anything you add will have, at best, a temporary effect, and in the long run, will throw the important parameters off, I'd guess that if yiou check you will now find that your alkalinity is high. That can cause even more precipitation. I find it particularly bad on impeller magnets - consider checking your return pump and power heads

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

FWIW, I removed the emergency tag.

Are you monitoring alkalinity in the tank? If not, don't add alkalinity supplements like sodium carbonate (soda ash) because high alk and high pH are the main drivers of calcium carbonate precipitation.

OP
OP
adrianbranches

adrianbranches

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of the solution precipitated out. You can try a old credit card as a scraper.

FWIW - NEVER NEVER Chase pH!!! Anything you add will have, at best, a temporary effect, and in the long run, will throw the important parameters off, I'd guess that if yiou check you will now find that your alkalinity is high. That can cause even more precipitation. I find it particularly bad on impeller magnets - consider checking your return pump and power heads
I used a sponge, tooth brush, and the best thing that’s worked is my finger nail. I literally discovered this last night and decided I’d try again and remove it all tonight. I’ll try the card later tonight and will make sure to double check my parameters. I didn’t know it would have those affects, so I’ll make sure to think twice before chasing pH. Thank you so much, my tank is slowly looking good again!

OP
OP
adrianbranches

adrianbranches

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the help everyone! I was able to remove the soda ash and have a eye catching tank once again. I'll be posting pictures of my tank again once I add another pal to my little piece of the ocean.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back