OP
DraggingTail

DraggingTail

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basically, I know what they do. I currently use Sodium Bicarbonate and starting to use more. Up to 70ml per day.

Was is the benefits of switching other than it takes less soda ash?

OP
OP
DraggingTail

DraggingTail

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) because it has less of an effect on pH AND because it is cheap and easy. I bought an 11 pound bag on amazon for like $15, It should last a very long time!
Where does your PH run? Mine runs 8.2 so I am hesitant to switch to Soda Ash even though I would like to have 8.4

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where does your PH run? Mine runs 8.2 so I am hesitant to switch to Soda Ash even though I would like to have 8.4

If you are dosing through the day, it won't likely rise above pH 8.4 if it peaks at pH 8.2 now. Most people are disappointed that the rise isn't bigger.

OP
OP
DraggingTail

DraggingTail

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Sodium Bicarbonate. It has little effect on PH, dissolves easily, it’s cheap and only small amounts are required.
What do you mean by small amounts? I go thru a gallan
If you are dosing through the day, it won't rise above pH 8.4 if it peaks at pH 8.2 now.
And if I use the gallon soda ash mix then I should use 1/2 as much as I currently use of sodium bicarb, right?

And if I switch, should I stop ALL automatic dosing in order to get a baseline or will soda ash not affect Ca and Mg?

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea! I don't even test pH. I make sure my Alk, Ca, and Mg are on point and let the pH be whatever it is. I'm not going to chase it anyway. I also do regular maintenance, clean skimmer cup and change filter socks at least twice a week, and do 25-40% water change every other week. I have a doser hooked up keeping my Alk and Ca stable and that is it.

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use soda ash because I want the little bump ups of ph from dosing it. Also soda ash last longer then bicarbonate as you don't dose as much for the same dkh amount

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

And if I use the gallon soda ash mix then I should use 1/2 as much as I currently use of sodium bicarb, right?

And if I switch, should I stop ALL automatic dosing in order to get a baseline or will soda ash not affect Ca and Mg?

Yes.

The switch should not impact calcium and magnesium.

OP
OP
DraggingTail

DraggingTail

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) gets converted to sodium carbonate, you seem to have that backward. Your oven should be plenty hot enough, but it probably needs more time. However, this is much easier to do in a simple microwave. 5 to 10 minutes should be enough for 100g. Just microwave it until that 100g becomes 63.1g as calculated by OldLabRat and that's it. Alternatively, you could buy washing soda (sodium carbonate) sold by arm & hammer if you are in the US.
?

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who uses which and why?
Beside water changes, and running sulfur denitrator, my PH and alkalinity low, PH 7.7, alk.6.5. Already finished auto WC system, using bake baking soda, to increase both. PH&ALK

Tank from Lam Nguyen, Exclusive Corals

Screenshot_2020-04-18-18-38-18.png Screenshot_2020-04-18-18-43-38.png

Last edited:

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) does get converted to Soda Ash (sodium carbonate) by heating....preferably in an oven. What occurs is the heat drives off a carbon dioxide converting the bicarb. to the carb. In baking applications, it acts like a "chemical" yeast, producing little bubbles in the cake/bread/whatever you're baking.

Anyway, if you take 2 1/4 cups of baking soda and spread out on a cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for an hour, you'll end up with approximately 2 cups of soda ash.

1587351514774.png

Mix this with a gallon of RO/DI, and you have an alk solution to use on your tank.

One more comment about using baking soda or soda ash solutions to dose....you can use either, and it doesn't matter (other than a temporary oh so slight pH shift). The difference is that baking soda has pour solubility and you'll only get about half of what you can get into solution versus soda ash. So if you make up a solution of soda ash, it's more potent and therefore require less than baking soda.

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My 170gal uses 4 teaspoons to raise alk by 1 dkh so not much. I mix this into less than 1L of water and add to a dripper in my sump so it’s added slowly.

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beside water changes, and running sulfur denitrator, my PH and alkalinity low, PH 7.7, alk.6.5. Already finished auto WC system, using bake baking soda, to increase both. PH&ALK

Tank from Lam Nguyen, Exclusive Corals

Screenshot_2020-04-18-18-38-18.png Screenshot_2020-04-18-18-43-38.png

My alk lowers due to my sulphur reactor, but since I moved the outlet to about an inch above my filter socks so that it goes into a high flow then through my Caulerpa fuge then skimmer now my PH is back up to 8.2

My PH was at <8 before I did this but unsure as to why. Now I add bicarb to stabilise alk.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 45 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 174 67.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back