Soda poppin' ... and how to dose infinite Kalk

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, how I arrived at this crazy simple stupid idea was kinda like this:

It started a long time ago when wet dry filters were still dominant and only the cool kids built Berlins. I had gotten back into the hobby after being in the Philippines and I was absolutetly enamored with live coral, I have to make that distinction since back then dead coral tanks were still popular. I tried dosing B-Iionic that was an abysmal failure, and to be fair I had no I idea what I was doing and the thought of reading the directions was lost on me. So then I decided to go all out I was a big software engineer during the dot com, money yah no problem. I bought a Knopp reactor. What an absolute pain it was. Needless to say I was single handedly destroying the worlds reefs, and I didn't like that. I came upon this idea about a dead spot underneath the gravel that would povide the minerals that I needed just like a calcium reactor only biological. There was hardly any information on this Jaubart system, but I persisted. I have run this system for many many years and it has provided stable systems but never really gave me what I really wanted from it ... calcium and alkalinity.

Fast forward many years, and I finally decided that the in tank plenum wasn't going to give me what I wanted and I decided that I was going to go straight to ludicrus speed. To this end I pulled the plenum out of the tank and started dripping water through it and then back into the tank. Kind of like a sump that was solely a plenum. This gave me a little bit more Ca/Alk, but I want a full tank of fast growing corals, so this idea needed an upgrade. To this end I stopped thinking in terms of Jaubart and started moving toward anaerobic digester. This was a big departure and I learned quickly that it needed to be fed, so I did this. I was testing Ca/Alk on the output and I was shocked to find that though the Ca wasn't really that much, the Alk however was crazy high. If I was feeding heavy (I fed beef and chicken) I could see around 60dKH at the output. This inspired me, but alas it was mostly bicarbonate and went away quickly. Also with a minimal Ca input the Ca didn't stay up. Seeking to capitalize in the high bicarbonate output I sought to bind the bicarbonate with Kalk (straight powder into the saltwater) this worked very well. I started using this and by adding more fast growing corals I created a serious enough load to ensure that I wasn't just fooling myself about what was being done. What I found with the anaerobic digester output though is that I was unable to automate it. The effluent from the digester when mixed with the Kalk created this, for lack of a better word, snot like substance that would do crazy things. I was left with having to manually make what I needed. The other downside of the digester is that I could only move a pre-determined amount of water through the digester at a time. If I moved to fast I didn't get the bicarbonate I needed. Clearly because the breakdown wasn't complete. This problem caused me to lose some of my fast growing frags and that made me mad. So I implemented Plan B. This was something that I had been thinking about as I worked out the problems with the digester.

Plan B the Theory:
If bicarbonate allows me to dose large amounts of Kalk then why wouldn't carbonic acid. So, carbonate saltwater and then stuff Kalk in it until I get a PH around 8.3.

Plan B the Implmentation:
I bought the plug in version of the Soda Stream. I got this model because it seems to let me use less CO2. I am not sure of this but the amount I currently use (the one drop button) seems to be still a little too much but I have worked around it. Once I got everything set up I pulled the .89quarts (~900ml) from the tank and put it in the bottle. I then hit the button and boom, carbonated salt water. I poured approx. half of the bottle (~450ml) into my liter beaker and then filled the rest with more salt water from the tank. I then add ~11/16 tsp of Kalk to the solution. This brings the solution to approx. 8-8.15 ph (I am using the Salifert ph test so my numbers aren't very precise). I let this sit for about half an hour so that the precipitate can mostly come out solution. I decant the solution and then dose the decanted solution into my aquarium. You can dump this in and it will make things a bit cloudy but you won't get the storm that come with doing this with straight Kalk and no CO2. I don't recomend doing this though the dosing ensures that your water stays crystal clear.

The aftermath:
I thought about some of the things that were happening and I have ideas as to why they may be happening. First the amount of percipitate seems pretty large. I am pretty sure that this percipitate forms as a reaction with the disolved CO2 gas in the water. At first I thought the percipitate was unused Kalk. I tested this theory with HCL (muratic acid) and since I saw bubbles coming from the percipitate my assumption is that the percipitate is indeed calcium carbonate. With this idea in mind I decided to go poor mans calcium reactor and poured the percipitate with fresh salt water into the soda stream bottle and then I carbonated the whole thing. That did it. I was then able to use what came out of the bottle to once again add more Kalk and this time I was able to get nearly the same results with half of the Kalk.

I am still working out automation and delving into the nooks and crannies as my intuition takes me. I hope to be able to fully automate the process as time goes on. I am fully aware that using this might be stupid and why not just use a calcium reactor. For me this method provides some real advantages of a calcium reactor (and dosing for that matter). The first is the amount. If you just have some low consumers or you are fish only this is great because you don't need to deal with messy kalkwasser drips and you don't have to worry about dosing one part only of a two part. The Kalk only adds Ca/Alk (and the other minerals if you use Brightwell Kalk+2). No sodium is added and no chloride is added. Also an a very small tank calcium reactors don't really make a lot of sense this gives you all of the advantages of the calcium reactor without the overhead. And the final and most important piece in my mind is that the ph of the Kalk can be adjusted. You can push the ph to 8.3. This means you don't depress the ph in your display.

As I figure out more I will post here. Hope this might help give some more options, in the on going problem of mineralization.

OP
OP
HuduVudu

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small update. My tank needs are starting to move up and I need to move on from daily dosing of 2L to something a bit higher. I also found that re-disolving the calcium carbonate precipitate didn't work as well as I might have liked. I think it is because I am re-concentrating the calcium phosphate ... warning this is only a theory. Also I am waiting a bit longer, more like an hour and a half to get a better settled precipitate. This seems to help with keeping my dosing hoses cleaner. I also have better calculations on how much Alk I am getting from this (haven't calculated Ca yet). Looks like about 11 dKh.

I am now going to a longer mix and dose, and will have the solution sitting (waiting to be dosed) longer. I checked on an overnight mix and it held steady. I will see what a longer time frame looks like. I had problems with alk drops when I was using a bicarbonate stream with the precipitate sitting with the solution. It made no sense. I guess I will figure it out some day. Under what I am moving to, I am going to have some of the precipitate sitting in the dosing container for an extended period. Hopefully this doesn't cause problems, but I can easily go back if it comes up as an issue.

OMG I am sick of testing alk. If I go to the bad place when I die this is what I will be doing. :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried to make low pH dosing solutions by dissolving calcium carbonate in soda water.

Here's part of my experience:

At one point I had the bright idea of adding aragonite to seltzer (soda water) bought at the grocery store to really boost the solubility and maybe have a nice, liquid additive. Seltzer has far more carbon dioxide in it than water in contact with normal air (which is why it goes flat when open), and that extra carbon dioxide will cause a great deal more calcium carbonate to dissolve (at 3.5 atmospheres CO2, the solution would contain more than 10 meq/L alkalinity and would be similar to limewater in potency, but much lower in pH). If only I had been able to mix them!! Instead, it ended up a science experiment for the kids, with the added aragonite sand providing a perfect surface for the carbon dioxide to turn into the gas phase and erupt from the bottle as a fountain of water, gas, and sand!

OP
OP
HuduVudu

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These include AragaMIGHT (a fine powdered form of aragonite, which is itself just a crystalline form of calcium carbonate) and AragaMilk (a slurry of aragonite in water) made by CaribSea

When you add finely divided calcium carbonate to seawater, you are suddenly adding a large surface area for new crystal growth. As soon as it is added, calcium and carbonate begin to precipitate onto the surface, lowering both the calcium and the alkalinity.
OMG I remember Aragamite and Aragamilk, I even "used" those products, and yup I got the result you stated in your article. Whelp now I know why.

Wow that got me down memory lane and why I started this whole process. I think it really started when I was in my no water change phase which went hand in hand with ignore the tank as much as possible unless to look at it phase. :)

When dissolved, they will be measured as available calcium and alkalinity even though they are not dissolved at normal tank pH.
LOL ... yah I figured out pretty quick in this latest experiment that the test kit will pick up the dissolved particles even though they will come right of solution, but it feels good to see the high numbers. :p

Just put some Southdown aragonite sand (or other product) on the bottom when you fill it up, and away you go! It won’t raise the pH nearly as much as limewater, but may be simpler and less expensive, and is likely better than nothing.
This is a very interesting idea. Might be easier on people's ATOs too.

Just leaving it open to the air is better than keeping it closed (unless, of course, you have pets or kids that might consider taking a dip in it!).
Lul.

I hadn't thought of using calcium carbonate directly, other than to try to regain some of what I was losing in the process. The idea of the sand in freshwater is pretty kewl. I may try that.

My biggest issue with Kalkwasser direct is the dependency on evap to keep up. I really like SPS and have been hooked for a long time, but I am leary of the two parts. I feel like I am pinned into doing water changes and sometimes I just don't want too. If my health is crap and I am looking at the tank going ... I need to do a water change, that drives me insane. I liked the Balling method, but I couldn't get the doser dialed in to ensure that I was dosing correctly. Seems like a narrow corrider to walk down and I found it to be to much work. I am truly lazy. :)

I really like my plenum and I have seen some really good growth with it alone, but I will not support fast growing SPS, so I really want a way to keep up with acros.

Anyway I like this method it provides as much calcium alk that I want without dragging all of the secondary cations in. I couldn't easily test for sodium and chloride back in the day and I think that I am still of that mindset. The one downside is that I don't have super good control over calcium and alkalinity independently but so far it doesn't seem to be an issue. I suppose if that starts to getting to be a problem I have some ideas to fix it. Isn't that all an aquarium is but a series of problems. :p

Last edited:

jccaclimber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like I’m missing something here. It sounds like you’ve basically made a calcium reactor/kalk stirrer with the following differences:
1. You are using soda water instead of a CO2 canister as your CO2 source. This is cheaper at first, but probably more expensive long term.
2. You are using calcium hydroxide instead of aragonite media. This will coat you magnesium and whatever traces are in the skeleton, but raise the pH as the CO2 dissipates from the display.

A photo or diagram might help.

OP
OP
HuduVudu

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like I’m missing something here. It sounds like you’ve basically made a calcium reactor/kalk stirrer
Essentially yes. With the added benefit of not having a low PH effluent stream.

1. You are using soda water instead of a CO2 canister as your CO2 source. This is cheaper at first, but probably more expensive long term.
Correct, this is due other constraints and yes it would be cheaper to get a regulator and bottle, but I wasn't sure about the ins and outs of doing this, so I chose the less capital intensive way first. Needless to say I have a very bad tendency to capitalize heavily for the savings down the road and then walk away from the whole project. I have learned to curb this very expensive tendency.

2. You are using calcium hydroxide instead of aragonite media.
Correct.

This will coat you magnesium and whatever traces are in the skeleton,
Not sure what you mean by this. BTW using the Brightwell Kalk+.

but raise the pH as the CO2 dissipates from the display.
The PH as I measure it with my less than desirable Salifert test at 9:38am CST with the light on for a hour and a half is between 8.15 and 8.3 closer by my reckoning to 8.15. Household CO2 942ppm.

A photo or diagram might help.
It's process. Perhaps a video of the process?

jccaclimber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what you mean by this. BTW using the Brightwell Kalk+.
Typo. I meant to say cost not coat. Basically there are more elements in aragonite than just those providing calcium and carbonate. You do not get these with this method.
I’m not sure I see a big benefit yet over say 2 part, but it is an interesting spin on things.

OP
OP
HuduVudu

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basically there are more elements in aragonite than just those providing calcium and carbonate. You do not get these with this method.
Correct and I am aware of this, but your reminder is important because it needs to be taken into account. I liked Randy's comment about aragonite in top off, this would help. I also was/will run plenums on my system.

I’m not sure I see a big benefit yet over say 2 part, ...
Cost and automation wise this is totally correct, but my distaste for the sodium chloride balancing has me persuing this method as a way to not mess with those balances. I am looking for ways to simplify and automate, but I am still early with prototyping. There are other things too that I take for granted like the plenums that go unspoken and it is good to highlight that I am using because this might not be apparent to other readers.

@jccaclimber I appreciate your feedback. It is most helpful. :)

OP
OP
HuduVudu

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like letting the solution sit after the decant is having surprising results. In the solution calcium is running 800ppm and the alk actually moved up and is running 32dKh. Adjust for the tank water whis 480ppm and 7dKh respectively looks like I am adding about 320ppm calcium and 25dKh alkalinity. Not sure the reason for the rise in alk in the solution but definitely interesting.

EDIT: Just tested calcium in just settled solution was 980ppm putting the added calcium at 500ppm.

Last edited:
OP
OP
HuduVudu

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wife seems to think temperature might play a role as we have just had a "cold" wave hit us and tempertures are definitely down.

OP
OP
HuduVudu

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update as there were some questions about Mag.

Just tested the tank .. it is 1170 (down from 1200 before I started all of this and the corals started growing again). The mixed solution using my recipe tests at 1260ppm for a difference of 90ppm.

jccaclimber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update as there were some questions about Mag.

Just tested the tank .. it is 1170 (down from 1200 before I started all of this and the corals started growing again). The mixed solution using my recipe tests at 1260ppm for a difference of 90ppm.
I thought you were using kalkwasser as your source? Where is the magnesium coming from in that case? Is that just test error?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought you were using kalkwasser as your source? Where is the magnesium coming from in that case? Is that just test error?

He is mixing into acidified aquarium water.

OP
OP
HuduVudu

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a small amount of Mag in Brightwell. By calculation it is 1ppm to the 500ppm of calcium so I just count that as nothing.

I highly suspect the Salifert Mag test is inaccurate for what I am trying to test for. TBF it does say that at calcium and strontium over 500ppm then the test becomes inaccurate. How inaccurate ... I don't know. I tried diluting the solution but the numbers are all over the place. The dilution makes the test too touchy.

My tank is a little low on Mag anyway and Randy pointed to a Magnesium Hydroxide precipitate. I can't verify. Wikipedia says that Magnesium Hydoxide is made from Calcium Hydroxide in seawater, so I am guessing at some level Mag is precipitating. With that said I am setting up a solution of Magnesium Hydroxide to bring up my levels in my tank to nearer seawater. Will post when I can get numbers from the solution and from my tank. Should be seeing Magnesium bicarbonate in the solution. We'll see.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...and Randy pointed to a Magnesium Hydroxide precipitate. I can't verify.

"A chemical reaction between magnesium ions of seawater
and an alkaline such as caustic soda will result in magnesium
hydroxide precipitates as:
Mg2++2NaOH →Mg(OH)2+2Na+(1)
Lime milk may also be used instead of caustic soda [2],but
due to a low solubility of lime in water (0.159 g/100g H2Oat
25 ◦C, [3]), however, lime particles and insoluble impurities in
lime may enter the solid product of magnesium hydroxide
"

OP
OP
HuduVudu

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

"A chemical reaction between magnesium ions of seawater
and an alkaline such as caustic soda will result in magnesium
hydroxide precipitates as:
Mg2++2NaOH →Mg(OH)2+2Na+(1)
Lime milk may also be used instead of caustic soda [2],but
due to a low solubility of lime in water (0.159 g/100g H2Oat
25 ◦C, [3]), however, lime particles and insoluble impurities in
lime may enter the solid product of magnesium hydroxide
"
You win.

This is my last post directed to you, because I can't ignore you. You have done nothing but tear me down and you don't bother to read my posts.

Your chemistry epeen is really big and I concede. You are more interested in being a big man than actually participating or helping. Your choice, but I am done with you.

jccaclimber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You win.

This is my last post directed to you, because I can't ignore you. You have done nothing but tear me down and you don't bother to read my posts.

Your chemistry epeen is really big and I concede. You are more interested in being a big man than actually participating or helping. Your choice, but I am done with you.
We’re all a little stressed out with the election, but I don’t see any attacks in Randy’s post.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You win.

I don't understand. In answer to someone's question you indicated that you could "not verify" my suggestion that magnesium hydroxide precipitates from seawater when you add hydroxide. I posted a scientific article that indicates it is true. It doesn't tear anyone down. It participates in the discussion.

OP
OP
HuduVudu

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We’re all a little stressed out with the election, but I don’t see any attacks in Randy’s post.
The election? What does that matter?

You are missing the history I have with him. I am not going to go into it because it doesn't matter just like he doesn't matter. Normally I would put people like him on ignore, but because of his position on this board I don't have that option.

I will continue forward with what I am doing. I would hope that people would chime and point things out as you have done. I would also hope that they would want to chime in on this because they want to see me succeed ... or at least learn in my failure.

This is a rabbit hole and I am just seeing how deep it goes. I have particular constraints I am working against and this looks promising so I go down, down, down.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 39.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back