OP
hawkinsrgk

hawkinsrgk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure you watch your alk. My consumption skyrocketed once I got my ph in the correct range

Thank you for the tip. I test my alk everyday and saw a BRS video where they said the same thing. Hopefully will be able to catch it before it drops

Eckolancer

LED GURU
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a large container for sale for $80 it's probably about 30lbs it's a 3/4 full 5 gallon bucket.

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also look up Soda Lime by searching "rebreather media" on Google. There are VERY different grades of this stuff. Size and shape make a great deal of difference in scrubbing efficiency and longevity of media.

Another bullet point to this, possibly an important one. The US Navy discontinued use of color changing media in their rebreathers, as the chemical compound involved in the color change was suspected of leaching into the closed circuit rebreathers. So just FYI, not only is the color change unreliable as to when the material is actually exhausted, but it is also potentially leaching into the air supply.

Good luck

Last edited:

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy, embarrassing to say because I sell industrial pH monitoring equipment, but your post made me realize I hadn't calibrated my pH sensor in a year (when it tells you what you want to see its hard to challenge it). Went and calibrated and it was reading 0.2 units high, thought I was running in the 8.2-8.4 range, Benin running in the 8-8.2 range. Thanks for sharing your experience, makes us all better reefers.

OP
OP
hawkinsrgk

hawkinsrgk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peter, Thanks for replying and this is really what its all about.

Thats got to be really sweet to get your hands on all of the latest monitoring stuff that comes out. Once you get your hands on an alk probe send us some pics.

OP
OP
hawkinsrgk

hawkinsrgk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is too interesting to not share. I read a post from rock lobster where he made a co2 scrubber out of a soda bottle and lye. Based off this instead of putting a little water in the soda lime container I used .05N Sodium Hydroxide and the PH went up from 8.22 at this time yesterday to 8.32. Also it appears that no soda lime has been depleted since this morning. I am really amazed at this result. Going to give it a couple more days to see how it goes, but can't wait to see how long it extends the life of the soda lime

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back