Sodium Bicarbonate-- shelf life after mixing?

Cavalina

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I mixed some sodium bicarbonate with RODI in a one gallon jug a few weeks back and used only a small percentage of it. What is the shelf life of this mix going forward? Do I need to dispose of it and remix a new batch after a certain amount of time? I can't seem to find anything on the web and welcome any guidance. Thanks!

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used year old baked baking soda / rodi water mix and it worked just fine. You might find some has fallen out of solution. Just shake the jug for a min.

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you don't have a bunch of spiders falling in and rotting or something, there shouldn't really be any shelf life apart from maybe the concentration changing if water evaporates or diffuses out of the bottle

OP
OP
Cavalina

Cavalina

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you don't have a bunch of spiders falling in and rotting or something, there shouldn't really be any shelf life apart from maybe the concentration changing if water evaporates or diffuses out of the bottle
Terrific, thanks for the feedback. Nope, no spiders or anything -- tightly capped. Tx!

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will turn into a hard chunk at the bottom over a long period of time, so it does need to be shaken up occasionally.

And a quick salute for actually making your own and not buying those ripoff two parts.

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used year old baked baking soda / rodi water mix and it worked just fine. You might find some has fallen out of solution. Just shake the jug for a min.
I wasn't aware that you could use baking soda instead of BRS sodium bicarbonate solution. How do you make the solution?

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't aware that you could use baking soda instead of BRS sodium bicarbonate solution. How do you make the solution?
If you are using BRS sodium bicarbonate you can use baking soda (which is just sodium bicarbonate) the exact same way. It should be 297 grams to make 1 gallon of solution. This is Randy’s recipe 2 in the article I’ll link.

If you use BRS soda ash you can make that by baking 594g of baking soda in the oven then mix it to make 1 gallon (Randy’s recipe 1).

I’ve been using Arm & Hammer baking soda that I buy at Walmart in a 12lb bag for years with no issues.

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are using BRS sodium bicarbonate you can use baking soda (which is just sodium bicarbonate) the exact same way. It should be 297 grams to make 1 gallon of solution. This is Randy’s recipe 2 in the article I’ll link.

If you use BRS soda ash you can make that by baking 594g of baking soda in the oven then mix it to make 1 gallon (Randy’s recipe 1).

I’ve been using Arm & Hammer baking soda that I buy at Walmart in a 12lb bag for years with no issues.

My next question is does the sodium bicarbonate solution have a shelf life? My current mixture from BRS is not raising alk like it should and I have shaken it up.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My next question is does the sodium bicarbonate solution have a shelf life? My current mixture from BRS is not raising alk like it should and I have shaken it up.

No, it is good forever. If it gets cold, some may precipitate, but warming it will allow it to redissolve.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming it’s in a sealed container it will last forever. I have used some 2 part that was sitting in a garage for over a decade and it worked just fine.
If you made the solution yourself from powder are you sure you mixed in the right amount of powder?

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming it’s in a sealed container it will last forever. I have used some 2 part that was sitting in a garage for over a decade and it worked just fine.
If you made the solution yourself from powder are you sure you mixed in the right amount of powder?

I mixed up the solution from BRS.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back