Sodium hydroxide

Chip

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sodium hydroxide

What are some good pharmaceutical brands of sodium hydroxide people are using that is pure and tested with ICP? I recently found a brand that was pretty dirty. Thanks

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sodium hydroxide

What are some good pharmaceutical brands of sodium hydroxide people are using that is pure and tested with ICP? I recently found a brand that was pretty dirty. Thanks

What size tank is this being dosed on?

Upvote 0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not see a reason to look too hard for pharma (USP) grade, and there's no a priori reason to assume pharma grade has higher purity standard than food grade, which is readily available. the tests are a little different, but neither is clearly better than the other for a reef tank, IMO:

Sodium Hydroxide USP NF Grade Specifications

Identification— A solution (1 in 25) responds to the tests for Sodium.
Insoluble substances and organic matter— A solution (1 in 20) is complete, clear, and colorless to slightly colored.
Potassium— Acidify 5 mL of a solution (1 in 20) with 6 N acetic acid, then add 5 drops of sodium cobalt nitrite TS: no precipitate is formed.
Heavy metals— the limit is 0.003%.

Sodium Hydroxide FCC Food Grade

REQUIREMENTS
Identification: A 1:25 aqueous solution gives positive tests for Sodium.
Assay: Not less than 95.0% and not more than 100.5% of total alkali, calculated as NaOH.
Arsenic: Not more than 3 mg/kg.
Carbonate: (as Na2CO3) Not more than 3.0%.
Insoluble Substances and Organic Matter: Passes test.
Lead: Not more than 2 mg/kg.
Mercury: Not more than 0.1 mg/kg.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Chip

Chip

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not see a reason to look too hard for pharma (USP) grade, and there's no a priori reason to assume pharma grade has higher purity standard than food grade, which is readily available. the tests are a little different, but neither is clearly better than the other for a reef tank, IMO:

Sodium Hydroxide USP NF Grade Specifications

Identification— A solution (1 in 25) responds to the tests for Sodium.
Insoluble substances and organic matter— A solution (1 in 20) is complete, clear, and colorless to slightly colored.
Potassium— Acidify 5 mL of a solution (1 in 20) with 6 N acetic acid, then add 5 drops of sodium cobalt nitrite TS: no precipitate is formed.
Heavy metals— the limit is 0.003%.

Sodium Hydroxide FCC Food Grade

REQUIREMENTS
Identification: A 1:25 aqueous solution gives positive tests for Sodium.
Assay: Not less than 95.0% and not more than 100.5% of total alkali, calculated as NaOH.
Arsenic: Not more than 3 mg/kg.
Carbonate: (as Na2CO3) Not more than 3.0%.
Insoluble Substances and Organic Matter: Passes test.
Lead: Not more than 2 mg/kg.
Mercury: Not more than 0.1 mg/kg.
Thanks for the info. But can you recommended a clean brand that works good and tested? A group of us reefers in my area used a product called Belle Chemical Sodium Hydroxide says 100% Hydroxide Food Grade. and all are ICP test tested with 4 high levels of metal. and we all had bad side effects.
Thanks

Upvote 0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. But can you recommended a clean brand that works good and tested? A group of us reefers in my area used a product called Belle Chemical Sodium Hydroxide says 100% Hydroxide Food Grade. and all are ICP test tested with 4 high levels of metal. and we all had bad side effects.
Thanks

I've never seen any full ICP testing of sodium hydroxide.

What exactly did you detect? it would not be surprising to detect all sorts of metals in it. Pharma grade (USP) allows up to 30 ppm heavy metals in the solid.

The question is what metals at what levels, and then look to see what effect those levels would have once diluted into an aquarium at doses one would actually use.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Chip

Chip

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What exactly did you detect? it would not be surprising to detect all sorts of metals in it. Pharma grade (USP) allows up to 30 ppm heavy metals in the solid.

The question is what metals at what levels, and then look to see what effect those levels would have once diluted into an aquarium at doses one would actually use.
Yes, It was not a ICP on the Hydroxide itself but on the tank water. Mostly Bromine, boron, barium. This is one of my worst ICP test.
lab.atiaquaristik.com/share/2160fdeff30ea54851d0

Upvote 0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, It was not a ICP on the Hydroxide itself but on the tank water. Mostly Bromine, boron, barium. This is one of my worst ICP test.
lab.atiaquaristik.com/share/2160fdeff30ea54851d0

Well, I cannot know where any chemical in the water came from, but I do not think any you listed is a tox problem.

The high borate will interfere with alk testing a bit.

Upvote 0

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 80 79.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.0%
Back