Rating - 100%
19   0   0

dstockwell

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, yes I have API, all I have right now. I mixed 2 teaspoons in a gallon water, and dosed 32 ounces over 1 1/2 hours in to 60 gallons to raise nitrates to eight. After 2 hours later still registering 0.

DavidinGA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, as a courteous FYI...dosing NO3 will cause your ALK to increase directly correlated to the amounts you're dosing.

dstockwell

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guess I need to make a stronger solution and not dose as much water. Maybe 4 teaspoons to a gallon.

1662475529896.png

Admonition

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been looking through all the posts on here in reference to trying to dose this myself too. I found what I believe to be ‘safe’ food grade Sodium Nitrate on Amazon but just wanted to check that its okay to use. Here’s the link: Sodium Nitrate

Also, I currently dose Tropic Marin Original balling, any idea how much using the Sodium Nitrate will effect my Alk? I figured I would dose the Sodium Nitrate during the morning before my Alk dosing and see how much it raises it so I can adjust on the fly, but figured I’d ask if anyone knows if it has a big effect or not.

Admonition

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more question lol, typically when mixing up a Nitrate solution for dosing (in this case the Sodium Nitrate I linked above) how long would the solution usually be safe to use? Just trying to figure out how much to mix up at a time

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more question lol, typically when mixing up a Nitrate solution for dosing (in this case the Sodium Nitrate I linked above) how long would the solution usually be safe to use? Just trying to figure out how much to mix up at a time

It is good basically forever. If it seems to be growing algae because it is dilute, I’d replace it.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 26.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 30.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back