Soft coral help

GillianB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just today I got my first soft corals and I am noticing some things that don’t seem right some of the corals have some greenish brown on them and some are looking wilty
is this normal for new corals or should it be fixed and how
Thanks!
See attached files

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you have some vermatid worms on the Duncan and tons of feather dusters. The Kenya tree and other aren’t looking too hot. What are your params and age of tank

OP
OP
GillianB

GillianB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you have some vermatid worms on the Duncan and tons of feather dusters. The Kenya tree and other aren’t looking too hot. What are your params and age of tank
Nitrates are between 0-5
Nitrite is 0
Ammonia is 0
Ph is 8.2
I do not have a test for alkaline phosphate or calcium but I plan on getting one today
The Tank has been running since last august
There is a golden blenny and 2 clowns in the tank as well as a condy anemone that has been doing well
The corals I was concerned about last night seemed to have improved overnight accept for my Xenia, that looks very wilty today. I will attached a picture of it

how do you get rid of the worms you mentioned?

Attachments

• 63682802415__0DB705B9-C939-4753-9F33-06ED0D11B16E.MOV
    318.2 KB
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 21

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That xenia is fine. Hard to kill. Like others have said wait a few days. I would also leave it as a separate island as you have it or it will be everywhere.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was the duncan only one head when you got it?
The Kenyan tree just needs some flow. Should be fine.
The GSP (tan mat softie with green polyps should recover, but may want to blow some of the algae off of it with turkey baster.
Guessing flow was off for pictures?
Oh, Xenia looks fine.

OP
OP
GillianB

GillianB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GSP stands for Green Star Polyp
The GSP (tan mat softie with green polyps should recover, but may want to blow some of the algae off of it with turkey baster.
Oh, Xenia looks fine.
Yea the Duncan only had one head

but today I have another problem I got a green BTA
From what I found they are ok to have in reef aquariums but shortly after adding it in the corals seemed very unhappy
I was told that they wouldn’t be a problem with my other anemone as long as they don’t touch eachother but something isn’t right
Thanks for all your help

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 18
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 24

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTAs are fine in aquariums, but can be finicky if not healthy. Having too much affect on the others should not be an issue unless it is dying.
I forgot to ask and did not see in responses, how large is your tank? This can be a factor keeping certain corals and anemones together.
Could just be the fact that you added something to the tank that the corals are unhappy. You bothered them messing around in the water. Leathers are particularly crazy like this.

OP
OP
GillianB

GillianB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, Xenia looks fine.
Yes
BTAs are fine in aquariums, but can be finicky if not healthy. Having too much affect on the others should not be an issue unless it is dying.
I forgot to ask and did not see in responses, how large is your tank? This can be a factor keeping certain corals and anemones together.
Could just be the fact that you added something to the tank that the corals are unhappy. You bothered them messing around in the water. Leathers are particularly crazy like this.
it is a 30 gallon tank
There is another nem in the tank I am having issues IDing it though it is either a condy or a LTA but I was told that either way they should be fine as long as they don’t touch
The new BTA looks very healthy
Thanks

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 51 56.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.7%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back