Soft plumbing

heystopthatman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im trying to soft plumb a little trash can sump setup with black vinyl. This is what it looks like with a 1' bulkhead seapora 56098 (i think, heres a picture of the pump, return nozzel, and overflow bulkheads) so to connect some vinyl tubing, do i need a 1' male or female braided thread? Same with the return nozzel and return pump. Im having hard time understanding videos and whatnot. Thanks.

20231022_183344.jpg 20231022_183410.jpg

BairCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So female threads for the drains and your return pump. Surprised your pump didn't come with barbed fittings! Remember to use thread tape for those so you don't get any leaks of course and try not to use those metal worm gear clamps, they'll rust up and fail eventually. Not to mention raise your iron in your tank while you scratch your head a year from now. Get some plastic ratchet clamps, they work very well! I found some at my local Ace for like a buck a piece. Also wouldn't be a bad idea to get some sort of valve to control either your return flow or your over flow so you don't get the constant toilet flush noise.

OP
OP
H

heystopthatman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also it looks like your overflow bulkhead nuts are upside down, that flange is supposed to be contacting the box. Don't want any leaks after getting this tank going!
Alright that helps a bunch. And for the bulkheads nuts being upside down, we dont talk about that. :)

I couldnt figure it out and just basically said it looks good enough. Anyways, thanks that helps a ton.

OP
OP
H

heystopthatman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also it looks like your overflow bulkhead nuts are upside down, that flange is supposed to be contacting the box. Don't want any leaks after getting this tank going!
Another question though, so i got this trash can as i said. (Heres a pic) So for the overflow, after i get the fittings can i just throw them in the trash can of do i need some sort of attachment? And same for the return pump and nozzel, do i just shove a female barbed fitting thing into there and call it a day? Also like where would be good areas to put clamps? Its alot to ask but videos cant explain to me much. I need a big in depth talk about it.

BairCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what I'd do, id try and attach the overflow hoses to the can somehow. Zipties, c clamp, something just to make sure it's going to stay in the can and not cause some freak accident. My luck I'd come home to a giant puddle and a bunch of dead fish and whatnot... return line and nozzle, the nozzle has that suction cup but not too sure how well that'll work. But I think the hook on it would be ok enough to keep it where it needs to be. I would try and not have any part of the return line touch anything as its going to vibrate a little and cause some percussion that I doubt you'd like to hear. Definitely try and use some plastic ratchet clamps on all barbed fittings. Some sort of valve (ball valve works but gate valves work better) so you can either control your overflow or your return so you can get a quieter overflow. Otherwise you have a good chance that thing is going to sound like a toilet flushing.

OP
OP
H

heystopthatman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what I'd do, id try and attach the overflow hoses to the can somehow. Zipties, c clamp, something just to make sure it's going to stay in the can and not cause some freak accident. My luck I'd come home to a giant puddle and a bunch of dead fish and whatnot... return line and nozzle, the nozzle has that suction cup but not too sure how well that'll work. But I think the hook on it would be ok enough to keep it where it needs to be. I would try and not have any part of the return line touch anything as its going to vibrate a little and cause some percussion that I doubt you'd like to hear. Definitely try and use some plastic ratchet clamps on all barbed fittings. Some sort of valve (ball valve works but gate valves work better) so you can either control your overflow or your return so you can get a quieter overflow. Otherwise you have a good chance that thing is going to sound like a toilet flushing.
Gotcha! Ill order some stuff and set it all up when it comes. Thanks for the help man.

BairCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha! Ill order some stuff and set it all up when it comes. Thanks for the help man.
No problem! Hope it all works out, also I forgot to mention some sort of siphon break or check valve for your return line so when you turn off your pump, all that water doesn't fill your sump can up and leak out. If it's like a 32 gallon brute can I wouldn't worry too much but just something to think about

OP
OP
H

heystopthatman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem! Hope it all works out, also I forgot to mention some sort of siphon break or check valve for your return line so when you turn off your pump, all that water doesn't fill your sump can up and leak out. If it's like a 32 gallon brute can I wouldn't worry too much but just something to think about
Got it. Its a 100 gallon tank and the trash can is 20 gallons. My little space was 19×19 and the trash can was luckily 19×19.

BairCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it. Its a 100 gallon tank and the trash can is 20 gallons. My little space was 19×19 and the trash can was luckily 19×19.
Ok, I gotta hand it to you I've never seen a tank setup like that and really excited to see a picture. Anyways, definitely going to want some sort of siphon break because that will definitely overflow that setup

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 158 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back