Soft tank reefer 350 planning

helwrj28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there guys, wondering if I could get some help about planning my tank for soft coral, as of now I'm thinking of the following:

1. Several zoas-- maybe a zoa garden
2. GSP
3. Mushrooms
4. Leathers
5. Pulsing Xenia?

Any help on placement/location of coral would be helpful! First pick is my tank straight on, then a pic on the left side, followed by the right side, thanks!

PXL_20230124_222146972.jpg PXL_20230124_222155069.jpg PXL_20230124_222203733.jpg

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Zoa gardens are good start. Maybe some nepthea or sinularia for movement, sarcophyton Sp some long tentacle. Pulsing sinularia. Mayb a colt coral or
Mint capnella. Gsp is good for matting and can b removed easier than Xenia if they get a foot hold. I’d place them on their own bommie off the main structure. Good alternative is cespitularia. Longer stalk.bluish hue w purple. Good start. Good luck

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Pablo from marine farmers and Penny from aqua corals are good sources for soft corals. Also gorgonians. Love them. Russ from gulf coast ecosystems great quality and pricing.

OP
OP
helwrj28

helwrj28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoa gardens are good start. Maybe some nepthea or sinularia for movement, sarcophyton Sp some long tentacle. Pulsing sinularia. Mayb a colt coral or
Mint capnella. Gsp is good for matting and can b removed easier than Xenia if they get a foot hold. I’d place them on their own bommie off the main structure. Good alternative is cespitularia. Longer stalk.bluish hue w purple. Good start. Good luck
Thanks for the recommendations!

I was thinking gsp on one of the rocks in front of large structure, or over on the right side (colored in green).

Back right corner is where I was thinking the toadstool leather, also it's where the clowns like to hang out (colored in orange). Will I have issues with this in time as it's all one continuous piece? Will the whole thing eventually become a toadstool?

The areas colored in purple I was thinking for mushrooms. Same concern with toadstool though.. will this become overrun?

Areas in blue I was thinking for zoas..

Let me know your thoughts on my planning, or where/how you might change or add things, thanks!

Attachments

• PXL_20230124_222146972~2.jpg
    PXL_20230124_222146972~2.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 17

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’d get some soft corals and just move them around to where u enjoy the look while still being healthy to grow out. Have to b
Navigate flow w light and placement.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the recommendations!

I was thinking gsp on one of the rocks in front of large structure, or over on the right side (colored in green).

Back right corner is where I was thinking the toadstool leather, also it's where the clowns like to hang out (colored in orange). Will I have issues with this in time as it's all one continuous piece? Will the whole thing eventually become a toadstool?

The areas colored in purple I was thinking for mushrooms. Same concern with toadstool though.. will this become overrun?

Areas in blue I was thinking for zoas..

Let me know your thoughts on my planning, or where/how you might change or add things, thanks!
One mushroom I recommend is Ricordea yuma, now the reason why is because when they grow big they look stunning, especially when in the perfect flow and lighting. My clown loves to be hosted by them and just hangs out near the rock, others have mistaken them for anemones as well. P.S. The bubbles were not meant to be on the coral originally however since being high in the tank they have bubbled up nicely.
E0603AEC-6EC6-4EE8-B729-26585115D746.jpeg

And I know not everyone likes these, so if you don’t like the unorganised look, go for Ricordea Florida, these seem to have more different colour variants available.
Mine has only recently began to split into 4 mushrooms.
66A3FA5C-CCF7-439F-AAF3-5C9B2898AB04.jpeg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for sinularia and colt for movement. This is a low rez pic of a previous tank with both. I would avoid the xenia. What an out of control mess they can become.

reefvho.jpg
Your tank is what I dream for, look at those huge colonies! Unfortunately Zos’s are off my menu though, I don’t need a fish to go from being 200 up to 3/400.

I’ll also say to the OP;
If you have a nice rock you want coral to encrust on, get yourself some GSP! If you get the right piece, you’ll get a green that you don’t see in many if any other soft corals. This is mine, the top photo of with a Filter and the bottom is without a filter.
A2A78FEB-A0F1-4810-AE90-EA6FC34B4F32.jpeg

432B914D-82FB-4462-8509-7030F70BD33F.jpeg

OP
OP
helwrj28

helwrj28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for sinularia and colt for movement. This is a low rez pic of a previous tank with both. I would avoid the xenia. What an out of control mess they can become.

reefvho.jpg
Thank you for the input, would you mind telling me which is what coral in the photo?

OP
OP
helwrj28

helwrj28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is what I dream for, look at those huge colonies! Unfortunately Zos’s are off my menu though, I don’t need a fish to go from being 200 up to 3/400.

I’ll also say to the OP;
If you have a nice rock you want coral to encrust on, get yourself some GSP! If you get the right piece, you’ll get a green that you don’t see in many if any other soft corals. This is mine, the top photo of with a Filter and the bottom is without a filter.
A2A78FEB-A0F1-4810-AE90-EA6FC34B4F32.jpeg

432B914D-82FB-4462-8509-7030F70BD33F.jpeg
Thank you for the input, definitely like the look of the GSP! Any experience with clove coral? Heard it's similar and doesn't take over the tank as much as GSP

OP
OP
helwrj28

helwrj28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One mushroom I recommend is Ricordea yuma, now the reason why is because when they grow big they look stunning, especially when in the perfect flow and lighting. My clown loves to be hosted by them and just hangs out near the rock, others have mistaken them for anemones as well. P.S. The bubbles were not meant to be on the coral originally however since being high in the tank they have bubbled up nicely.
E0603AEC-6EC6-4EE8-B729-26585115D746.jpeg

And I know not everyone likes these, so if you don’t like the unorganised look, go for Ricordea Florida, these seem to have more different colour variants available.
Mine has only recently began to split into 4 mushrooms.
66A3FA5C-CCF7-439F-AAF3-5C9B2898AB04.jpeg
Definitely love the coloration of the Ricordea Florida! Do you think this would fair mounted on my main rock structure on the left (thinking of putting it on the right section) as I indicated in my picture

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely love the coloration of the Ricordea Florida! Do you think this would fair mounted on my main rock structure on the left (thinking of putting it on the right section) as I indicated in my picture
Both my Ricordea’s fare well in high light and low light. They really couldn’t care less as long as they can grow!
Thank you for the input, definitely like the look of the GSP! Any experience with clove coral? Heard it's similar and doesn't take over the tank as much as GSP
I don’t mind cloves, but get the wrong one and you’ll find horror stories just like you do with GSP.

OP
OP
helwrj28

helwrj28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both my Ricordea’s fare well in high light and low light. They really couldn’t care less as long as they can grow!

I don’t mind cloves, but get the wrong one and you’ll find horror stories just like you do with GSP.
How do the Ricordea fair in medium/high flow? Thanks again for your help and input!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do the Ricordea fair in medium/high flow? Thanks again for your help and input!
Both of my Ricordea are in medium/High, again in my experience they don’t care as long as they’re in the perfect conditions to spread and just grow!

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the input, would you mind telling me which is what coral in the photo?

Far right rock shows a small toadstool and above it is a devil's hand. White palm tree like coral I sinularia. Pink one to left is colt. Then the yellow leather on the top is a Fiji elegance. Xenia is on top in middle before it got out of control.

OP
OP
helwrj28

helwrj28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Far right rock shows a small toadstool and above it is a devil's hand. White palm tree like coral I sinularia. Pink one to left is colt. Then the yellow leather on the top is a Fiji elegance. Xenia is on top in middle before it got out of control.
Looks beautiful thanks for sharing! Really like to the toadstool and I like that it can host clownfish

OP
OP
helwrj28

helwrj28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is everyone's experience with the colt versus nepthea vs finger leather for movement/color/infestation?

I love the work of all of them. Mostly looking for one that will grow and keep its place, I don't want something to spread like crazy like the Xenia

OP
OP
helwrj28

helwrj28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is everyone's experience with the colt versus nepthea vs finger leather for movement/color/infestation?

I love the work of all of them. Mostly looking for one that will grow and keep its place, I don't want something to spread like crazy like the Xenia
Anybody have some insight?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 37.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 19.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 19.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back