Soft Tubing and algae growth

MadeForThat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The two go together like PB+J. My current build uses quite a bit of soft silicone tube, and I get a lot of growth in these lines, and meaning that adjustments to the overflow and return are common. While keeping them out of light is the obvious option, and has worked quite well for some of my tube, some lengths I cannot avoid light. I have been considering wire sleeve to reduce the light, but I am not sure this will block enough.
1615846397746.png

I have also been looking into black silicone tubing, but the only source seems to be in china, and people have noted a "strong chemical smell" so I feel safe expecting that it is not "food safe" as they claim.

Kind of tangent, but how can someone determine if tubing is reef safe? Could I soak it in 0tds for a few months and see what the tds is after that time? If it is leeching something, it would be safe to say it isn't good for the tank, but if it doesn't, perhaps it is fine?

Has anyone attempted to eliminate this kind of algae growth? I am particularly interested, as my new build will have a very large amount of soft line that will be exposed to light lol.

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm seeing black silicone 1/4", 1/2", and 3/4" on amazon. No idea on testing it. If it's silicone I'd use. In fact, one I'm looking at says it's ok for aquarium use.

Black vinyl tubing is another common option.

OP
OP
MadeForThat

MadeForThat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3/4" ID? Shoot me a link :) I will not ever reduce myself of vinyl tubing again lol, the larger the diameter the higher my blood pressure

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried to post links and reef2reef blocked them. Sending PM instead. Edit: PM doesn't seem to work either.

Try searching these two:

19mm 3/4" Silicone Vacuum Tube Hose Tubing Hose for Air Coolant – 3ft Black​

BOSAIYA QAZ1 1M Silicone Vacuum Hose Tubing Turbo Coolant Tube Intimate Diameter 19mm Silicone Tube TL0301 (Color : Black)​

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not use flex PVC instead (unless you already bought the silicone)? I’m actually not a huge fan of silicone for returns as it can balloon under certain conditions. It’s mostly useless for drains.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The algae inside there will go away after the ugly phase. I just had to clean them 2 or 3 times along the way and never saw it again after.

OP
OP
MadeForThat

MadeForThat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jekyl I would love to say it goes away, but mine have only grown more with time. I have a full-on turf growing in mine lol.
Flex PVC may be the way to go, I don't have much experience with it except for my skimmer air line, and it seems pretty flexible. It seems to me a larger diameter of it probably is somewhere between vinyl and silicone on the flexibility scale.

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only use silicone tubes for moving water from brutes to the tank; I don’t think it’s strong enough for plumbing. Would black vinyl work? If so, BRS carries black vinyl in1-2” to 1 1/2”

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@TriggerFinger I cant use vinyl, I need a very high degree of flexibility for my slide out sump. I use to live down in STL, I'm still on Seascape Studio's email list lol. That was an excellent store
They’re still an excellent store!
Good luck in your search!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back