Softie and lps. Critique this setup

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting to fill reef with beginner corals.
Nothing is glued down yet. Below circles from left to right. Looking for tips on placement (besides get rid of them) keeping in mind future coral room.

1 Kenya tree
2 cespitularia
3 st Thomas mushroom
4 whisker coral (duncan)
5 pom pom xenia
6 zoa’s in sand
27DAAAF1-0FA8-4ADD-A853-5F2DC7DA0479.jpeg

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Placement seems fine to me. Everything has room to grow without competing for space. I know you don't want to hear this, but the Xenia and Kenya tree are both basically weeds. They will grow very fast, spread throughout the tank, and before you know it they will be the only things surviving. I have seen MANY systems overrun by these corals forcing a complete tear down and reboot. Just a word of caution.

OP
OP
C

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Placement seems fine to me. Everything has room to grow without competing for space. I know you don't want to hear this, but the Xenia and Kenya tree are both basically weeds. They will grow very fast, spread throughout the tank, and before you know it they will be the only things surviving. I have seen MANY systems overrun by these corals forcing a complete tear down and reboot. Just a word of caution.
I’ve seen. Was told to aggressively trim both and try to keep separate. That’s why I put them on the ends

OP
OP
C

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thant being said...what do you suggest?

also, any suggestions on future additions? Really looking for coral groups that can be side by side in rocks with lots of color

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are looking for colorful groupings of corals, zoas, acans, and mushrooms can be had in a large variety of colors and grouped with there own kind in "gardens" if you will. Also, you can place most euphelia in close proximity to each other without issues. These include hammers, frogspawn, and some torches. As for softies you could get some sinularia, colt, pipe organ, etc.

OP
OP
C

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are looking for colorful groupings of corals, zoas, acans, and mushrooms can be had in a large variety of colors and grouped with there own kind in "gardens" if you will. Also, you can place most euphelia in close proximity to each other without issues. These include hammers, frogspawn, and some torches. As for softies you could get some sinularia, colt, pipe organ, etc.
Nice response!

And you’d suggest dumping Kenya tree I’d imagine haha

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice response!

And you’d suggest dumping Kenya tree I’d imagine haha
If it was my tank, yes. Others may have different opinions of them, but I will not own them again.

Even keeping the kenya and xenia to the edges won't keep them there. They often drop polyps and you will find some growing all over the tank without knowing how they got there. Once they start this, they are nearly impossible to get rid of.

OP
OP
C

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was my tank, yes. Others may have different opinions of them, but I will not own them again.

Even keeping the kenya and xenia to the edges won't keep them there. They often drop polyps and you will find some growing all over the tank without knowing how they got there. Once they start this, they are nearly impossible to get rid of.
I may dump Kenya and keep my battle with the Xenia as my daughter picked it and really likes them.

dbraun15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All looks good...I have learned my lesson with xenia(make sure you keep it isolated on its own island well away from anything else), green star polyps, Kenya tree, anthelia, and clove polyps...I will never own any of them again as said above they will take over and smother everything else. Good advice from lpsouth1978.

OP
OP
C

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All looks good...I have learned my lesson with xenia(make sure you keep it isolated on its own island well away from anything else), green star polyps, Kenya tree, anthelia, and clove polyps...I will never own any of them again as said above they will take over and smother everything else. Good advice from lpsouth1978.
Yeah I’m going to switch my rock work up a bit to further isolate

Thanks guys

OP
OP
C

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LFS will take the Xenia back. I’ll swap for frog spawn or torch which has the same flowing motion so my daughter can still have her “cool movement”

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back