OP
Musovski

Musovski

Soft Coral Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say go for the 350. Then you will have a solid 4 feet and the tangs will be much more comfy
ye, true. but the tangs are either going into a 3'x6'x27" tank (hopefully i get this one, if not im money back guaranteed) or a red sea 750xxl which is almost a 6ft tank. i think the tangs will be extra comfy in. the purpose for the upgrade in a 250 or 350 is to manage space because the plumbing of the current tank sucks. also... i want to keep the softies in their own tank as they spread a lot and will only stay in that tank or a 250/350 if i find one (wont buy new cause it wont be worth it).

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Musovski have you considered toxic warfare from all of the soft corals are affecting fish? Not sure the levels would be enough, but fish are small critters. Remind me, do you run activated carbon?

OP
OP
Musovski

Musovski

Soft Coral Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Musovski have you considered toxic warfare from all of the soft corals are affecting fish? Not sure the levels would be enough, but fish are small critters. Remind me, do you run activated carbon?

yes, this was one of the first things i thought about prior doing a softie dominant tank. i run carbon because i know soft coral release toxins. so carbon is on almost all the time.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured you had considered this. It is just such a mystery. I lost a few shrimp and fish mysteriously as well. One fish I lost did have an intestinal issue that quickly killed it. Because of the loss of fish and invertebrates, and the fact I had Pacific live rock, I watched for a predator. Never found one though. I also considered toxins as I had a Toadstool Leather die and Palythoas being stung by the anemone. Never figured it out for certain and have had no further losses. Tank mysteries suck.

OP
OP
Musovski

Musovski

Soft Coral Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured you had considered this. It is just such a mystery. I lost a few shrimp and fish mysteriously as well. One fish I lost did have an intestinal issue that quickly killed it. Because of the loss of fish and invertebrates, and the fact I had Pacific live rock, I watched for a predator. Never found one though. I also considered toxins as I had a Toadstool Leather die and Palythoas being stung by the anemone. Never figured it out for certain and have had no further losses. Tank mysteries suck.
whats weird is that i wouldve thought my inverts would go first if it was something even slightly hurtful that had happened... but they didnt. I judge my tank based on my stars and feather dusters/coco worms. Reason being, they are most sensitive. Soft corals open up no matter what when light hits them, even if water quality is bad they open up a tiny bit. and my fish are just always savage and healthy cause of the garlic i add to food and diet they get. idk. I guess things happen, and mysteries exist but i wont stop until i find out what happened.

OP
OP
Musovski

Musovski

Soft Coral Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often do you change the carbon? Could it be getting used up and allowing toxins some times?
Sorry I’m new
i change 1-2 times a month because i get scared of that! LOL. now i am not sure if it works that way but i do it to be safe.

Why-Me

Been going against the grain since I was a sapling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
giphy (9).gif

OP
OP
Musovski

Musovski

Soft Coral Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do I see a tank in your future all the way around the room? A custom cabinet all the way around for a massive sump system too.
well my goal right now is to find a lot i can buy and build my house. Itll be built around a fish tank, sorta like david saxby. then again this wont happen anytime soon since i still need to finish my clinicals and residency.

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well my goal right now is to find a lot i can buy and build my house. Itll be built around a fish tank, sorta like david saxby. then again this wont happen anytime soon since i still need to finish my clinicals and residency.
I've had that daydream as well... lol.. a basement with an exterior foundation for the house and an interior block foundation with pilings driven down to base rock to support the weight of the gazillion gallon pedestal tank in the center of the living room... maybe an airlock built in so I can don a wetsuit and get inside the tank to do maintenance without having to climb over the 7' high tank walls :)

OP
OP
Musovski

Musovski

Soft Coral Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had that daydream as well... lol.. a basement with an exterior foundation for the house and an interior block foundation with pilings driven down to base rock to support the weight of the gazillion gallon pedestal tank in the center of the living room... maybe an airlock built in so I can don a wetsuit and get inside the tank to do maintenance without having to climb over the 7' high tank walls :)
!! isnt it nice though, imagine taking a swim with all your tangs and angels

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back