Shadows Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know where to find information about the solar intensity of the coral reefs throughout the year as the seasons change the amount of light the corals get is important to coral spawning and I’m trying to spawn some colonies in my tank with the help of apex’s season table, simulating sun rise and set times, water temperature throughout the year, with the moon light simulator. The only piece of the puzzle I’m missing is solar intensity throughout the year.

OP
OP
Shadows Reef

Shadows Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted a video just last week showing par of 1800+ in my outdoor frag tanks. Good luck with trying to match the intensity in your tank.

Check on youtube under o2manyfish - The video with the PAR values is titled Frag tank at 108 degrees.

Dave B
Well as long as I can simulate the intensity differences as the seasons change I should be on track to trigger a spawn event. I don’t quite need to match the actual solar output as par will be different for corals at various depths but the values of the changes in intensity is important to me.

OP
OP
Shadows Reef

Shadows Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you I just saw the chart that helps out allot I’m seeing if I can find a more detailed one.
But at least this way I can see when to set my highest and lowest intensity. It’s interesting how the intensity it highest in summer then lowest in spring and fall and 2nd highest in winter.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know where to find information about the solar intensity of the coral reefs throughout the year as the seasons change the amount of light the corals get is important to coral spawning and I’m trying to spawn some colonies in my tank with the help of apex’s season table, simulating sun rise and set times, water temperature throughout the year, with the moon light simulator. The only piece of the puzzle I’m missing is solar intensity throughout the year.

It's going to depend highly on the lattitude of the natural reef you are wanting to model.

OP
OP
Shadows Reef

Shadows Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
D3C3999F-A8B8-4270-B524-4DD33E1990DE.jpeg
F23073FC-86FF-4EB0-A5AF-ED069717D00A.jpeg

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you just need to pick high and low seasonal intensity and just stick with it. The corals should adapt and respond.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back