Solid .2 ph drop over night after a/c turned on

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I RAN A SCRUBBER ATTACHED TO SKIMMER. expected MORE but better than nothing.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As title states last night I turned on my ac for first time this year and when woke up this morning ph is at 7.9 and always runs at 8.1-8.2 I know this is not out of range or something I should immediately be concerned about but I’d like to know why this happened. I do have my skimmer line plumbed to outside air and before I ran line outside my ph was 7.9 and went to 8.2 after this modification. Now I’m back at 7.9 I don’t understand why any info And clarification would be appreciated Thanks

86560AAE-4953-40D3-897B-092038AFD4A2.png

The closed up house rose in CO2 and despite the outside line, aeration at the tank top will drop the pH. I do not think the effect relates to temperature.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m starting to think it’s not fact of ac turning on but more of fact of the change in outside temp and humidity going threw out outside skimmer inlets and we only associate this with turning ac on possibly. But again I’m no professional and probably wrong

Temp and humidity won't impact tank pH unless you use evaporation to dose something, like kalkwasser in an ATO.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is exactly my setup aswell. Also you say wondering about the circulation from the ac well my heater is circulated the same way and was running just 2-3 days ago with no issues and 8.2 ph . Then heat off for 2 days then ac on and this drop

There is never, ever any separation of CO2 and air in a home unless the CO2 is made locally. Molecules in gas do not separate base don density or anything else once mixed together.

It is just the closed up house that allows CO2 to rise.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone done research on how efficient skimmmer plumbed outside during hot humid summers are compaired to cold dry winters or just decent cool weather?

I do not see any reason to think temp makes a difference in skimmer effectiveness with respect to CO2.

The temperature differential between inside and out can drive outside air into a home, as will, obviously, wind.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking some kind of electrical charge in the air and then I guess yes charge would change from the change in humidity ? Who knows just wish I could do something about it. I don’t remember such a drop last year. And will it eventually balance itself out back to the 8.2 ? Orrrrr Actually what I really think is going on now that I talk out loud is could the now hot and humid air outside being drawn threw my skimmer be the cause of ph drop?

No, there is no net charge in air.

OP
OP
((FORDTECH))

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The closed up house rose in CO2 and despite the outside line, aeration at the tank top will drop the pH. I do not think the effect relates to temperature.
The house was always closed off never changed. Heat was on since winter been off 2 days windows still closed then turned ac on. The ac does not release any CO2 so not sure where and how it be from raised co2

OP
OP
((FORDTECH))

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s now leveled off at 8.06 from 7.89 But still lower then normal. Tank still looks fine so I’m not worried more just kinda curious where the huge swing came from.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The house was always closed off never changed. Heat was on since winter been off 2 days windows still closed then turned ac on. The ac does not release any CO2 so not sure where and how it be from raised co2

It is certainly true that an AC creates no CO2. I'm not sure what your setup is, but it may bring high CO2 air from where you live and sleep most to where the tank is if it is central AC.

OP
OP
((FORDTECH))

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is certainly true that an AC creates no CO2. I'm not sure what your setup is, but it may bring high CO2 air from where you live and sleep most to where the tank is if it is central AC.
That still would be strange because my central ac uses same system as central heat. Only difference is a compressor outside turns on and flows Freon threw pipes in house.no valves no doors change in air flow or anything

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That still would be strange because my central ac uses same system as central heat. Only difference is a compressor outside turns on and flows Freon threw pipes in house.

Not sure where you live, but when the outside temp further away from the inside temp, there is more convective airflow through a home. That has been shown experimentally when studying air quality in homes.

Back