OP
D

danreefman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I posted a thread and nobody replied so I figured this would be a good place to ask. I bought an 8$ rock a few days ago and it had a sponge. I was excited because I want one in my refugium to filter more water. However when I got home I noticed what looks to be a baby coral. The guy in the shop said there is a very strong possibility that it could be because they had a coral spawning happen and their tank was flooded with coral eggs that hatched and they got mixed in with the frag rock. Thank you guys in advance for your help! I never intended to get a coral (yet) but it looks like I have one or more and the shop owner wont take it back and Im not gonna just get rid of them.

So my question is what kind of coral/s could this be? I was thinking kenya tree maybe. If the second thing isn't a coral what could it be?
20201015_185359.jpg

20201015_185308.jpg

Next question is, do you think this is a coral larva? They vary in size depending on the coral and could be up to the size of a rice grain. The fist pic is actual size zoom at x8. The second is in a drop on a microscope at x1000. It has a weird bulbousy back end that would become the first polyp if you watch a video of one becoming a polyp. Its also really squishy looking and doesnt move like a worm. It can swim unlike most worms.
20201015_231613.jpg

20201015_231348.jpg

20201015_231337.jpg

Hi, looks like you have a nice piece of live rock. That looks like it might be a leather of sorts. They are good filter feeders (polish the water). But whatever it is it is an easy breeder, fast grower, generally means very dominant. I personally would take them off.

Pic of the wormy deal looks like it might be a small nudibranch. Hard to say.

Live rock is great in so many ways and bad in so many. Once put in your tank and getting nutrients and food, the stuff that is showing and not showing will accelerate and start going everywhere.

Back not that long ago, all you could get was live rock. But know one had a true way of getting rid of aptasia amongst other pest. So everyone started baking there rock. It than turned into a game of super patience. Now instead of letting your rock cure for a month and filling with coral and watching it grow. With dry rock it takes at least a year to get similar filter qualities of a true live rock.

For sponge there are some good accelerators out there. But really sponge loves clean water.

I know it's easy to be super excited about free things that come in on a rock. Be super cautious. Most the time in my experience, better to get rid of the unknown, thank to fight a malicious item in your tank. In a vast ocean things are fine and everything has a role. In our little glass boxes things can get out of control before you know it.

Hope this helps. I'm not a pro but I've had a few experiences. I think there's a thread on here that is specific I think it's called pest and hitchhikers. You can get a plethora of people's ideas there.

I hope the best for you and your tank.

sagedrake690

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, looks like you have a nice piece of live rock. That looks like it might be a leather of sorts. They are good filter feeders (polish the water). But whatever it is it is an easy breeder, fast grower, generally means very dominant. I personally would take them off.

Pic of the wormy deal looks like it might be a small nudibranch. Hard to say.

Live rock is great in so many ways and bad in so many. Once put in your tank and getting nutrients and food, the stuff that is showing and not showing will accelerate and start going everywhere.

Back not that long ago, all you could get was live rock. But know one had a true way of getting rid of aptasia amongst other pest. So everyone started baking there rock. It than turned into a game of super patience. Now instead of letting your rock cure for a month and filling with coral and watching it grow. With dry rock it takes at least a year to get similar filter qualities of a true live rock.

For sponge there are some good accelerators out there. But really sponge loves clean water.

I know it's easy to be super excited about free things that come in on a rock. Be super cautious. Most the time in my experience, better to get rid of the unknown, thank to fight a malicious item in your tank. In a vast ocean things are fine and everything has a role. In our little glass boxes things can get out of control before you know it.

Hope this helps. I'm not a pro but I've had a few experiences. I think there's a thread on here that is specific I think it's called pest and hitchhikers. You can get a plethora of people's ideas there.

I hope the best for you and your tank.
Thank you so much!!! I honestly want whatever is in there to thrive if it can. Its barren aside from a few cleaners so its fair game for whatever wants to inhabit it. Im kinda letting nature do its thing in this tank too. I figured nature will do a better job than me at finding what works best to make the tank thrive with crystal clear water. I have a second tank I can use to vacate any fish if something nukes it but I don't have anything other than a few snails and crabs ATM. I did end up with this tiny fish somehow. I have no idea what he is or where he came from. He burrows in sand and eats stuff. Dunno what. I guess my scraps. He went from a half inch to this inch size here since I've had him. Dunno what he is but he's happy!
20201017_112614.jpg
Any ideas? This tank is just full of hitchhikers! All tiny but soon things will take over.
20201017_112656.jpg

OP
OP
D

danreefman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much!!! I honestly want whatever is in there to thrive if it can. Its barren aside from a few cleaners so its fair game for whatever wants to inhabit it. Im kinda letting nature do its thing in this tank too. I figured nature will do a better job than me at finding what works best to make the tank thrive with crystal clear water. I have a second tank I can use to vacate any fish if something nukes it but I don't have anything other than a few snails and crabs ATM. I did end up with this tiny fish somehow. I have no idea what he is or where he came from. He burrows in sand and eats stuff. Dunno what. I guess my scraps. He went from a half inch to this inch size here since I've had him. Dunno what he is but he's happy!
20201017_112614.jpg
Any ideas? This tank is just full of hitchhikers! All tiny but soon things will take over.
20201017_112656.jpg
That's cool. Not sure the exact name I think it's a scooter blenny. They're beneficial. They sift and clean up the scraps. You can always find these in the tide pools.

My sons tank is kinda all natural. Got some majano zoas and mushrooms. I guess you could call it a Florida inspired tank. Just how it ended up. He pretty much just pours fresh water in and feeds everyday. Tank just does it's own thing otherwise. The huge blankets of waving majano are kinda cool.

OP
OP
D

danreefman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have lots of obscure one off pieces that you don't often hear about. I love it. Is the color on that piece really orange like that?
It is for now. Too much light. I've been tuning lights down each week. May tune down to 75% from 85% and stop there. If that doesn't work I'll I'll move the piece.

Back