Some good small inverts for a 13g

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I want to get some cool inverts like a flame scallop (obviously not this) but nothing too expensive like a max clam. What some good reef safe and fish safe inverts

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had any, but if I ever make a tank that small again, I think I would give serious consideration to some sexy shrimp.

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sexy shrimp need anemones imo. I sold my nem
Yup. We removed ours from our evo because they were eating all our corals. They really liked purple stylo and acans :(

A nice choice for an evo would be Urocaridella antonbruunii. Small, peaceful and reef safe, live in groups or alone, and eat regular fish food. Also act as a cleaner.

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion, one of the neatest and easiest to care for inverts for a small tank is the pop pom crab. (Lybia sp.) They have a symbiotic relationship with the anemones they carry. They don't require any special care and seem to actually do better in smaller systems. As long as you have plenty of rockwork and feed the tank foods typical for fish, they will scavenge and do fine. I currently have one in my 10 gal. nano for over a year. It eats pellets, flakes, frozen mysis, etc. reefcleaners.org has them often. That's where I got mine.
1632988522720.png

OP
OP
GHOSTLY

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bumble bee snails are pretty cool. Various types of cleaner shrimp as well. Harlequin shrimp are stunning if you can meet their dietary requirements
i love bumblebee snails but my LFS said they might eat and attack coral and vermid snails. I can meet the requirements for the harlequin shrimp but I'm not going to go to my lfs to clean their tanks

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I want to get some cool inverts like a flame scallop (obviously not this) but nothing too expensive like a max clam. What some good reef safe and fish safe inverts
Sexy shrimp (nem is good to keep them safer, nothing too agressive),

goby and a Randall's pistol (pretty chill, needs like 2 inch sand bed and a few shells to put in its burrow),

Lettuce slug (needs algae, if not enough, supplement its diet with live algae or maybe even some dry stuff, likey not pellets though),

Feather Duster (get a bigger one, tiny ones make too many clones, Feed them live phytoplankton ive heard good things about phyto feast LIVE (https://reefnutrition.com/products/phytofeastlive), im going with a campfire in my 15 gal),

Blue tuxedo urchin (they can push rocks if they aren't on your glass (you really shouldn't have loose rock anyway), They can pick up little chunks of stuff and move them around), Blood Red shrimp (a bit hidey with light, might not see too much outside of feeding)

Astrea snails (they can get flipped and need help)

Pom Pom Crab (cool little dudes, nothing to agressive and you'll have a little buddy with nice gloves, very rarely disturbs corals)

I can think of a few more if you want

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No specialized feeding. Feather dusters can be pretty sensitive and really need a well established tank.
depends on the duster, many cannot eat water most column particulate, and use it to build their tube. Better safe than sorry, unless you are very sure your water already meets their requirements

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i love bumblebee snails but my LFS said they might eat and attack coral and vermid snails. I can meet the requirements for the harlequin shrimp but I'm not going to go to my lfs to clean their tanks
Your lfs said eating vermetid like that’s a bad thing?
That’s their main use, and they suck at it IME. Mine didn’t touch coral or vermetid, and eventually died to later become decorations in my pistol’s cave.
Get a pistol shrimp, you won’t be sorry. They like to screw up the sandbed and corals but are a lot of fun.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 29 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back