Some good small inverts for a 13g

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your lfs said eating vermetid like that’s a bad thing?
That’s their main use, and they suck at it IME. Mine didn’t touch coral or vermetid, and eventually died to later become decorations in my pistol’s cave.
Get a pistol shrimp, you won’t be sorry. They like to screw up the sandbed and corals but are a lot of fun.
they are cool! especially with gobies, it depends on what inverts you wanna put in though

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they are cool! especially with gobies, it depends on what inverts you wanna put in though
Mine has been well behaved. It’s a tiger. Drags hermits or snails under occasionally, but they get back out. Got along with my emerald well enough. Haven’t seen him with a cleaner shrimp though. He also has been spotted eating bristleworms.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine has been well behaved. It’s a tiger. Drags hermits or snails under occasionally, but they get back out. Got along with my emerald well enough. Haven’t seen him with a cleaner shrimp though. He also has been spotted eating bristleworms.
put shells in near its home, it is potentially trying to fortify its burrow to help prevent collapses. Not too much you can do about the bristle eating. they usually don't go after anything near their size or larger

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
put shells in near its home, it is potentially trying to fortify its burrow to help prevent collapses. Not too much you can do about the bristle eating. they usually don't go after anything near their size or larger
I don’t mind the bristle eating, just can’t seem to ever see them anymore lol.
There’s plenty for him to take, just seems to like the crabs lol. Stray shells or rubble doesn’t last long either though.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t mind the bristle eating, just can’t seem to ever see them anymore lol.
There’s plenty for him to take, just seems to like the crabs lol. Stray shells or rubble doesn’t last long either though.
crabs take it? or he takes it? try putting one in front of his burrow later in the day. If he doesn't take it he just wants some crab action

OP
OP
GHOSTLY

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sexy shrimp (nem is good to keep them safer, nothing too agressive),

goby and a Randall's pistol (pretty chill, needs like 2 inch sand bed and a few shells to put in its burrow),

Lettuce slug (needs algae, if not enough, supplement its diet with live algae or maybe even some dry stuff, likey not pellets though),

Feather Duster (get a bigger one, tiny ones make too many clones, Feed them live phytoplankton ive heard good things about phyto feast LIVE (https://reefnutrition.com/products/phytofeastlive), im going with a campfire in my 15 gal),

Blue tuxedo urchin (they can push rocks if they aren't on your glass (you really shouldn't have loose rock anyway), They can pick up little chunks of stuff and move them around), Blood Red shrimp (a bit hidey with light, might not see too much outside of feeding)

Astrea snails (they can get flipped and need help)

Pom Pom Crab (cool little dudes, nothing to agressive and you'll have a little buddy with nice gloves, very rarely disturbs corals)

I can think of a few more if you want
Can i get feather dusters feeding dead phyto?

reddevilant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My suggestion for small inverts is always porcelain crabs! There's so many different colors and they're so peaceful and interesting to watch as they fan the water for food. Best place to get them is from Salty Bottom Reef Co. They have the best prices and usually a variety of different colors. They'll feed on any thing a carnivorous fish would, flakes, mysis, brine shrimp, etc.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can i get feather dusters feeding dead phyto?
I believe the issue is them "seeing" the dead phytos as material for tank building instead of food (Im not super sure of this, but heard of various issues getting them to eat dead phytos) , they cannot eat pellets if thats what you're thinking, they need small particulate. The Phyto food and similar stuff should last you awhile though.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My suggestion for small inverts is always porcelain crabs! There's so many different colors and they're so peaceful and interesting to watch as they fan the water for food. Best place to get them is from Salty Bottom Reef Co. They have the best prices and usually a variety of different colors. They'll feed on any thing a carnivorous fish would, flakes, mysis, brine shrimp, etc.
Careful which crab you get! I know some species can be really mean to other inverts. Porcelain nem crabs tend to be the least territorial, and just chill and filter feed

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
random thing: I hate zoas, because I hate worrying about palytoxin
I understand, kept me away from them for a bit.
The poison is not too bad, just have to wear gloves and a mask when working with them. I’ve gotten affected a few times, feels like a cold, definitely not fun.
Colors are too nice for me to avoid them!

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand, kept me away from them for a bit.
The poison is not too bad, just have to wear gloves and a mask when working with them. I’ve gotten affected a few times, feels like a cold, definitely not fun.
Colors are too nice for me to avoid them!
The thing that gets me is having other pets. Im worried it get my dogs sick or something with traces of the stuff left on something. maybe ill use them one day, but not soon.

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
depends on the duster, many cannot eat water most column particulate, and use it to build their tube. Better safe than sorry, unless you are very sure your water already meets their requirements
Yeah, that's why I said that dusters fare better in established systems. The "no specialized feeding" comment was for the pom pom crab.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS Has 2000g tanks with no phyto so how are they staying alive?
How long have they been there? IMO stay away from dusters unless you plan to feed phyto to a green tinge. I do, and they have thrived, but most do not, it's a fanciful thing for some to purchase them, and then watch them die. They don't eat detritus or anything like that. Tank here is 25 + years. Listen to @Isopod80

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great, now I’m worried somethings gonna nuke my tank lol
Luckily I don’t have any cucumbers…
And you Sharkbait need one! A sea Cuc! Don't believe the hype. Depending on species they are all good usually. Such workhorses. Mine a Tiger Tail typically pretty good in terms of toxins. ...15 years strong. Do I worry, well ya a tiny bit, bit well worth the small amount of worry.....
In saying that, they have no place in a smaller tank....

Back