Some Im Nuvo 40 questions..

Mattj815

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I just got the Im 40, upgraded from my evo 13.5. In the process of cycling and was going to make a new thread once I was further along but I have a few questions.

My main concern right now is the millions of bubbles coming from the pump. Im assuming its from evap and the water level dropping but when I look in the chamber the pump is still submerged. I have my ato coming on monday so I hope that will resolve that. Still thought it was odd id be getting so many bubbles while there is still water covering the pump.

Second is about the filter socks. Im new to socks and thought the tank also came with a caddy, guess not. Will probably order an Intank down the road. Did they use to come with the caddy?

Any ideas? Cant wait till im cycled and get my light and can start moving stuff from my evo. Loving the tank so far.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My IM 40 is a month old, but I have had previous IMs.

When water is spilling over the baffles in the back compartment it creates micro bubbles, you need to have the water level up almost to the baffles in the back.

I use the socks, the tank does not come with media baskets. I have never found a great need for a media basket but some really like them.
Congrats on the new tank, I really like the look of IMs.

HTH

:)

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure you have everything plugged in. I've been having a similar situation lately with my IM40 after the tank running for 14 months. The only thing I can figure is that there's a gap in between some connections or something that's producing inconsistencies in the water.

EDIT: Poster did a better job of answering your question

They don't come with caddys and as far as I've seen they never have. I have the Tunze 9001 in my right overflow chamber and the filter sock still in my left chamber. I swap them out weekly and clean them each time. BRS' study showed that swapping them out on a weekly basis was the best way to keep nitrates down and not go crazy cleaning socks.

One tip I have for this tank is to make sure you're vacuuming out the back chambers. I originally had rubble rock in there for the first 6 months or so. I finally took it out after reading around on here, puked a few times at the amount of detritus built up, and am now sure to vacuum back there with every water change.

OP
OP
M

Mattj815

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well once I add top off water, the bubbles go away. So like I said hopefully the ato prevents the problem. Cant wait, this will be my first ato and first skimmer. I know there will be challenges but it seems so much easier than how I dealt with my evo. Ive dealt with a few salinity swings before.

That back chamber is the only thing im not liking so far, looks like a pain in the butt to clean. Especially since I hear that center chamber can get pretty tight with equipment.

But yeah so far loving it. Fits perfectly in its spot and really doubt id ever want to go bigger.

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well once I add top off water, the bubbles go away. So like I said hopefully the ato prevents the problem. Cant wait, this will be my first ato and first skimmer. I know there will be challenges but it seems so much easier than how I dealt with my evo. Ive dealt with a few salinity swings before.

That back chamber is the only thing im not liking so far, looks like a pain in the butt to clean. Especially since I hear that center chamber can get pretty tight with equipment.

But yeah so far loving it. Fits perfectly in its spot and really doubt id ever want to go bigger.
Just wait. I'm not anxiously looking to upgrade, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to hold out another year or two until I get a 75g+

OP
OP
M

Mattj815

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wait. I'm not anxiously looking to upgrade, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to hold out another year or two until I get a 75g+

Lol yea I gotta see when we move next year. But im happy for now. This might be the bathroom tank in the future and get a 180 for the living room.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back